Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GL_EXT_abgr

Intern Contributor

GL_EXT_abgr

GL_EXT_abgr is the oldest EXT and universally supported as far as I can tell. But somehow has never made it into the core or even to an ARB extension.

Senior Member OpenGL Lord

Re: GL_EXT_abgr

Well, think about it: what good is it exactly?

The pixel transfer parameters GL_ABGR_EXT and GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8 are the exact same as GL_RGBA with GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV. The same goes for 4444 and 4444_REV. The only place where there would be a difference is 5551 vs. 1555_REV.

Do you need to do ABGR uploading for 16-bit per-channel formats? I doubt the hardware orders the channels that way, so I don't think it's going to help anything.

Just because something is an extension and widely supported doesn't mean that it's good or needs to be brought into core.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Just because something is an extension and widely supported doesn't mean that it's good or needs to be brought into core.
    Funny that, one would think that it is evidence that it is used and supported which implies a candidate to go to core.

Intern Contributor

GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV is not a solution if writing cross-platform code because of endianess issues.

Funny that, one would think that it is evidence that it is used and supported which implies a candidate to go to core.
    What is the evidence that it is widely used? Supported, yes. Used?

GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV is not a solution if writing cross-platform code because of endianess issues.
    And ABGR is? How are these two any different with regard to endian issues?

If you're having endian issues, you should be using GL_PACK/UNPACK_SWAP_BYTES anyway.

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse Reinheart
    And ABGR is? How are these two any different with regard to endian issues?
    Because the order of bytes is preserved across different endian platforms but the order of unsigned ints is not. Thus GL_ABGR_EXT w/ GL_BYTE will give you the same results across platforms which GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8 will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse Reinheart
    If you're having endian issues, you should be using GL_PACK/UNPACK_SWAP_BYTES anyway.
    This suffers from the exact same endian problem as using unsigned ints. It introduces a separate code path across platforms and also obfuscates the meaning of the code.

This suffers from the exact same endian problem as using unsigned ints. It introduces a separate code path across platforms and also obfuscates the meaning of the code.
    Except that you only have to set it in one place at the beginning of your code. And from then on, everything works. That's the problem with ABGR; you can already get the equivalent functionality without it.

Also, I would point out that the swap-bytes solution will also work for 16-bit shorts, 16-bit floats, 32-bit shorts, 32-bit floats, 16-bit 565, 16-bit 4444, 32-bit 10F_11F_11F, 32-bit 5999, ... I can keep going, but I think my point is clear. ABGR solves this for exactly one format (ie: bytes). Swap bytes solves it for everything.

Hence swap bytes is standard, and ABGR is not.

Intern Contributor

I'm not going to argue with you Korval.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

I agree with Alfonse on this, endianness issues are what the GL_PACK/UNPACK_SWAP_BYTES pixel transfer option is made for. Adding GL_EXT_abgr to core would result simply in redundant functionality.
    Disclaimer: This is my personal profile. Whatever I write here is my personal opinion and none of my statements or speculations are anyhow related to my employer and as such should not be treated as accurate or valid and in no case should those be considered to represent the opinions of my employer.
    Technical Blog: http://www.rastergrid.com/blog/

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

The other option is to detect your endianness at startup and use formats and types as appropriate. That will also work, and will also be portable.

To be honest portability seems a fairly weak excuse for saying "thou shalt not" when there are plenty of options available to deal with it.