ATI Linux 64

Well, I know this is not the best place to ask for it, but I had no answers on the official amd/catalyst forum. So I hope someone could give me some hints here.

So, I was fed up to use 32 bit kernel with my 64 bit processor (performance issues, and testing issuses). So I wanted to try again to install 64 bit ATI drivers under Linux.

Even if I could make the process go more further (installation complete and “well done”), nothing could run, complaining about missing 64 bit libraries (Xrandr and many others).

However, my distribution (Debian/Lenny) does not provide them, and I must admit (maybe wrongly), that I doubt any other distributions provide such libraries compiled for 64 bits.

I also tried to link these libraries into lib64 directory, but of course, the binary complained about these weren’t 64bits libraries (tested on aticonfig and fglrxinfo).

32 bit drivers are already a bit “tricky” to install (having to rewrite some function…), but I could never make 64 bit drivers to work at all.

Can someone tell me if he could install it ? And if succeed without problem, which distribution you use ?

PS: I was wanting to recompile all these libs for 64 bits, but I got afraid to have hundreds libraries to compile because of dependencies…

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: On the official ATI doc, they ask for 32 bit packages (including X) to be installed for 64 bit drivers to work…

Can someone tell me if he could install it ? And if succeed without problem, which distribution you use ?

I’m using Ubuntu x64. I download the catalyst drivers every couple of months, and they work without any special effort.

I see. So it seems Debian stable version is still on a too early stage for this to work.

Thanks for the answer.

mmmm. Shame on me !

I was using i386 debian. This explains why the drivers didn’t installed correctly.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.