OpenGL in software-mode

Dear OpenGL.org forums,

My old laptop has a ATi Radeon 200m mobile graphics card in it, which does not accelerate OpenGL.

This means that every time i try to configure Counter-Strike 1.6 in OpenGL mode the game will crash. Games like Minecraft that only have OpenGL graphics mode available will not start.

My questions for this forum are: Can i run OpenGL in software mode? If yes, how do i install this on my laptop? If no, any other solutions available to have OpenGL working?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
-CJ

microsoft provides a software implementation for opengl by default; when you install a graphics driver (catalyst), you then get hardware acceleration (for either d3d or opengl).

this hardware does not get frequent driver update anymore, but you should be able to install an older version of catalyst.

one caveat: you might have a laptop which includes both intel/amd gfx device, in which case you need to have a special build of the driver that allows switching between the two adaptors. In general, you should have better luck (performance/feature) if you run on ATI device than on intel device.

[/b]

So what you are saying is that at the time i install my catalyst drivers i sacrifice my standard windows OpenGL for either a newer OpenGL -OR- Direct3D?

And finding drivers is indeed a pain, can’t upgrade my laptop drivers any further because they aren’t on the ATi site anymore.

No, when you install the graphics drivers, it includes direct3d and GL acceleration in its various files.
If a program uses GL, such as Counter Strike, it will use GL.
For your laptop, try to get the drivers from the maker of your laptop. They should have a version for your OS.

I am trying to play Minecraft but it keeps telling me that

‘Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.’

I have tried to update drivers and have done much web-surfing to fix this.

I am running Dell Dimension 1100 with Windows Vista, my Graphics are integrated Intel 82865G Graphics Controller.

I really want to get this fixed, as I want to play MineCraft very badly. Can this problem be solved without buying a new comp or video card?

Try the check the GL version with http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/
It should be GL 2.0
Also check the vendor name. It should say intel
It should not say Microsoft.

Hallo,
Please help me with an opengl problem: I play enemy territory on windows 7 installed on laptop Dell Studio 1735 with this specifications:
Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
DirectX DirectX 11.0
Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T9300, 2500 MHz (12.5 x 200)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Crestline-PM PM965
System Memory 3072 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
Display:
Video Adapter ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (M86)
Monitor Dell S2409W (HDMI) [24" LCD] (U946D894A4KU)
Monitor Generic PnP Monitor [NoDB]
Multimedia:
Audio Adapter ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV635 this results:
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz
1920 x 1080 pixels, 32 bits, 60 Hz

• High Definition Audio Controller
    Audio Adapter IDT 92HD73C1/92HDW74C1/92HDW74C2 @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller

Renderer: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
Version: 3.3.10317 Core Profile Forward-Compatible Context
Shading language version: 3.30

My best FPS in game can be obtained with version 1.4, bud the game uses the last one: 3.3 I managed to make the game to use the best version (dunno how) bud game freeze within 15-20 minutes. I reinstalled win 7, and now… I cannot make the game to use that version. Please make me understand what I do wrong.

In the future, make a new thread.

I will help you anyway.
You seem to have a Dell Studio Laptop (whatever that means) laptop 1735.
I did not see a Windows 7 driver on the Dell page
http://support.dell.com/support/download…tid=&impid=

Ask on their forums
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/default.aspx