Multisampling makes things extra transparent

I’m having an issue where if I enable multisampling (to get rid of antialiasing) then everything in my scene with alpha becomes extra transparent.

You can see my demo here - just check the multisample box to see the issue:

http://volumeviewer.kenai.com/

I’m building my render buffer with

gl.glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleEXT(GL.GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT,
                GL.GL_RGBA,
                width, height);

I’m enabling multisample with

gl.glEnable(GL.GL_MULTISAMPLE);
            gl.glEnable(GL.GL_SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_COVERAGE);

Am I doing this right?

Mark

[quote=kitfox]I’m having an issue where if I enable multisampling (to get rid of antialiasing) then everything in my scene with alpha becomes extra transparent.

gl.glRenderbufferStorageMultisampleEXT(GL.GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT,
                GL.GL_RGBA,
                width, height);
            gl.glEnable(GL.GL_MULTISAMPLE);
            gl.glEnable(GL.GL_SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_COVERAGE);

Sounds like what you want is to “disable” SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_COVERAGE and instead enable BLEND for your translucent objects.

What SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_COVERAGE does is convert the fragment alpha into a multisample dither mask, and renders a subset of the samples opaquely. Then when the MSAA downsample happens you get a very quantized alpha transparency look. This is also sometimes called screen-door transparency.

Just wanted to add that your Java WebStart demo is very nice.

Or, if you really do want to use SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_COVERAGE and BLEND at the same time, then also turn on SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_ONE.

@arekkusu
You just saved my day! I’m using GL_SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_COVERAGE for so long now… Just recently I wondered why my downsampled alpha-values are so small and figured, that multisampling and a-2-c together basically result in “squared alpha”.
SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_ONE fixes this! :smiley:

Thanks. :slight_smile: It was a lot of fun to build.

Really? I’m not sure but that doesn’t sound quite right.

I’m guessing you had multisampling, SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_COVERAGE, and BLEND all enabled together. Is this right?

If so, then I’d definitely believe you should see a “squared alpha” type effect (only some samples would be blended based on alpha, and additionally those would be dimmed by alpha). I’d also believe that, as you did, setting SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_ONE should probably fix the visual artifact, but you’ve still got a needless BLEND hit there.

Alternatively leaving SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_ONE disabled and just disabling BLEND while using SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_COVERAGE might also do what you need and be faster.

…unless I’m missing something. …which is entirely possible. :slight_smile:

@DarkPhoton

I blend the downsampled image again with another image. The framebuffer alpha channel serves as opacity for this blend operation.

Now image, you’re using alpha=0.25 when you initially render the 4x multisampled image. This alpha value is used as coverage mask, so 1 of 4 of the samples gets alpha=0.25.
When you downsample this image, the resulting pixels gets an alpha value of (0+0+0+0.25)/4 = 1/16. This is not the intended value. Instead it should have written (0+0+0+1.0)/4=0.25.
So I wondered how the hell I’m getting a 1.0 into the fragment alpha channel without losing alpha-to-coverage. The answer is GL_SAMPLE_ALPHA_TO_ONE :slight_smile:
(The initial multisampled image is not using blending. Alpha-to-coverage is just used for cheap order-independent translucency)

Ah! Thanks. That makes sense.