Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Converting to 3.3

Junior Member Newbie

Converting to 3.3

I'm attempting to convert some code I've got to OpenGL 3.3, core profile, with little success.

Currently, I'm trying to render a 2D grid of triangles. Just that; nothing fancy, no texture-mapping, nothing. I've got a vertex shader that does nothing but write a vertex attribute array's vertices to gl_Position, and a fragment shader that then goes on to write red to gl_FragColor.[1]

The vertex coordinates range from (0,0) to (1,1); rendered properly, they should cover the upper right quarter of the screen.

Problem, though.. the screen coordinates, instead of ranging from (-1,-1) to (1,1) as I'd expect, range from approximately (-0.000000000000000000021,-0.000000000000000000021) to (0.000000000000000000021,0.000000000000000000021). (0,0) is still in the center, thankfully.

I've established this range by experiment - subtracting/adding Very Tiny Values from the input to gl_Position in the vertex shader. It probably has a meaning of some kind - epsilon times the glViewport parameters? I don't know.

To be honest, I don't know where to start debugging this. I've been perturbing the program for the last hour, with less than impressive results.. the next step would be to try a minimal test-case, but I'm not sure what a minimal test-case /is/, for core 3.3.

So.. what's the smallest amount of code required to put a 2D triangle on-screen, with some trivial shaders involved? (Perspective correction is irrelevant; it's all 2D).

And do my symptoms look familiar to anyone?

[1] Yes, gl_FragColor is deprecated. I don't understand the replacement yet, and at least that part works as-is.

Intern Newbie

Re: Converting to 3.3

frag shader:
    #version 330
    out vec4 fragColor;

void main(void)
    {

and call glBindFragDataLocation(progid,0,"fragColor"); after shader program link;

Junior Member Newbie

I suppose that covers the deprecated bit, yep. No ideas about the actual problem I was facing, then? It /is/ pretty bizarre, I guess..

Out of curiosity, what would happen if I bound multiple out vectors from the fragment shader, to different indexes? There's only one framebuffer..

Senior Member OpenGL Lord

Problem, though.. the screen coordinates, instead of ranging from (-1,-1) to (1,1) as I'd expect, range from approximately (-0.000000000000000000021,-0.000000000000000000021) to (0.000000000000000000021,0.000000000000000000021). (0,0) is still in the center, thankfully.
    Sounds like your vertex position of 1 is being sent as a normalized short or integer. Which means it's actually 1/65535 or 1/(2^32 - 1).

Can you post the line that sets up the vertex attribute? Are you sure you're linking your attributes from your code to the shader correctly?

Junior Member Newbie

Sure. I'm not sure I understand, though; if the input coordinates were out of whack in that way, shouldn't the 4000-something triangles get drawn as a single dot in the center of the screen, instead of getting blown up to several quintillion times their normal size?

To reiterate: Manually altering the vertex shader's output gl_Position shows that the range of the screen, as measured by that coordinate system, is ~10^-20 times the size it should be.

Unless I actually have to set its range manually and there's no default (an option I've considered, and failed to find documentation for), I don't see how that can happen.

But okay. Code:
    Code :
        // Construct tile points
        glGenBuffers(1, &tiles);
        glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, tiles);
        vector<GLfloat> points;
        points.reserve(w*h*2);
        for (int x=0; x < w; x++) {
          for (int y=0; y < h; y++) {
            points.push_back(double(x * init.font.dispx) / w); // Top left
            points.push_back(double(y * init.font.dispy) / h);
            points.push_back(double((x+1) * init.font.dispx) / w); // Top right
            points.push_back(double(x * init.font.dispx) / w); // Bottom left
            points.push_back(double((y+1) * init.font.dispy) / h);

points.push_back(double(x * init.font.dispx) / w); // Bottom left
            points.push_back(double((x+1) * init.font.dispx) / w); // Top right
            points.push_back(double((x+1) * init.font.dispx) / w); // Bottom right
          }
        }
        glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, points.size() * sizeof(GLfloat), &amp;points[0], GL_STATIC_DRAW);
        printGLError();

// Load shaders
        shader.reload();
        // And bind the input points
        glVertexAttribPointer(shader.attrib("position"), 2, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, 0, 0);
        glEnableVertexAttribArray(shader.attrib("position"));
    shader.reload() does about what you'd expect, loading the vertex and fragment shaders into memory, compiling, glUseProgram'ing, etc. I'm quite certain that part works.

The drawing code is just
    glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLES, 0, gps.dimx * gps.dimy * 6);
    , since I never actually undo any of this state.

Vertex and fragment shader:
    Code :
    #version 140 // -*- Mode: C++ -*-

// Inputs from DF
    in vec2 position;
    in int gl_VertexID;

flat out int tile;
    out vec4 gl_Position;

void main() {
      tile = gl_VertexID / 6;

// You can change the location of the tile edges here, but normally you should just let them pass through.
      gl_Position = vec4(position.x-0.000000000000000000017, position.y-0.00000000000000000005, 0.0, 0.0);
      // gl_Position = vec4(0,0,0,0);
    }

====== fragment shader =======

#version 140 // -*- mode: C++ -*-

flat in int tile;

void main() {
      // gl_FragColor = vec4(1,1,0,1);
      // gl_FragColor = gl_FragCoord/600;
      if (tile < 2)
        gl_FragColor = vec4(tile + 0.5, 0,0,1);
      else
        discard;