NVIDIA releases OpenGL 3.3 drivers

NVIDIA is pleased to announce the immediate availability of drivers supporting OpenGL 3.3 for Geforce and Quadro, on Windows and Linux platforms. Download the NVIDIA OpenGL 3.3 drivers here: http://developer.nvidia.com/object/opengl_driver.html

Barthold
(with my NVIDIA hat on)

Thanks for the update!
Got my hands immediately on occlusion2, and already replacing my custom #include and attrib/fragdata-binding handlers.
Cheers!

Edit: whoops, the non-core include-extension is not available yet ^^".

Edit: whoops, the non-core include-extension is not available yet ^^".

That’s not a part of 3.3, is it? :wink:

Nope.

And this is maybe for the best… I’m really not sure about this extension.

----A bit of cynicium for fun! (sorry I had to!)----

Can’t wait to see nVidia releasing GeForce 500 as well!
Ok, my main card is not a GeForce for the first time ever and I not sure about having a oven in my main config.
Anyway, I still have my old GeForce next to my Radeon! :wink:

That’s the kind of news that make you think that the best of nVidia is the developers support!

Definitely! And that’s GTX 480 comin’ up next Friday.

Thanks for the drivers, NVidia!

>>> Edit: whoops, the non-core include-extension is not available yet ^^".
>> That’s not a part of 3.3, is it? wink
> No.
And this is maybe for the best… I’m really not sure about this extension.

Eh, it’s really not bad. The driver doesn’t “hit the disk” or anything. IIRC, you load the include files and give the content strings and the “filenames” to the driver, and it just uses that as a dictionary to resolve #includes. So the driver does the strcat’ing instead of you. Similar to the Cg interface IIRC. Not something you have to use if you don’t like it.

Nice thing is that presumably it works with the preprocessor so you can do conditional includes and such to speed up compilation time without having to use an external preprocessor or write your own. Cleaner than #ifdefs around large blocks of inline code.

Ahaha I’m really not waiting for GeForce GTX 480 but for the following generation that was my cynical point :wink: Or maybe just to laugh and get depressed :stuck_out_tongue:

Great to see that they still support 2.1 hardware, this saves a lot of work in alternate code paths for new projects.

Yes, this is really great!

In addition to the new 3.3 extensions:

ARB_texture_swizzle
ARB_sampler_objects
ARB_occlusion_query2
ARB_timer_query
ARB_explicit_attrib_location
ARB_blend_func_extended
ARB_instanced_arrays
ARB_shader_bit_encoding
ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui
ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev

the driver also comes with the 4.0 extension:

ARB_transform_feedback2

and these other new extensions:

NV_texture_multisample
NVX_gpu_memory_info

Andybody seen some beef on the latter two?

I think ARB_transform_feedback2 is supported by GT200 but not by G80.

Bingo

Correct.

The driver download page says that the newly released drivers support GeForce 8000 and up, but when I attempt to update from my previous driver it says the device isn’t supported.

I have a GeForce 8600M GT, 32-bit XP SP3.

Is this not going to work? Is the current driver release only for the desktop card models?

It’s probably desktop only drivers. There are trick to make them run on laptop I think modifying some inf files.

You would have to wait a little for laptop I guess but OpenGL 3.3 will run.

They work perfectly fine with my 8600M GT, as it can be seen from the following link :slight_smile:
http://sites.google.com/site/opengltutorialsbyaks/download/extension-viewer

In fact you don’t need to wait. You can modify .inf file by yourself (but the intervention is not trivial, because you have to find closest match device and use this driver for your card), or go to the site http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/, and download already modified file.

All GL 3.3 extensions are supported except GL_ARB_shading_language_include (or to be more correct, they are in the list of supported ones, but I didn’t try to use them yet to see if they are correctly implemented :wink: ).

It seams that this drivers doesn’t support the “index” qualifier from GL_ARB_blend_func_extended.

And something else, I’m not sure from where it can. At some point my screen running with a GeForce starts to blick (displaying the normal content and then black. about 1 second for each. After while (few minutes) it went in a green and purple color mode… This is beyond the OpenGL drivers (who where still doing a good job). It happened 3 or 4 times.

No, it’s not a problem of the screen which works correctly plug to a Radeon or my MacBook.

> It seams that this drivers doesn’t support the “index” qualifier from GL_ARB_blend_func_extended.

Can you elaborate on this?

> At some point my screen running with a GeForce starts to blick

Have you seen this with any other drivers? Let’s not pollute this thread with this topic. Can you send me a PM about it?

Thanks,
Barthold
(with my NVIDIA hat on)

If I’m right, this should build:

#version 330 core
#define COLOR 0

uniform sampler2D Diffuse;

in vec2 VertTexcoord;
layout(location = COLOR, index = 0) out vec4 Color;

void main()
{
	Color = texture(Diffuse, VertTexcoord);
}

But the compiler say:
0(8): error C3008: unknown layout specifier ‘index = 0’

Ah yes, index=0 should be allowed (it is the default) and not generate a compiler error. Already fixed, you’ll see it in the next driver update.

Barthold
(with my NVIDIA hat on)