my "glMapBuffer" does not return pointer?

I get

warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

for

GLvoid *ptr = glMapBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER,GL_READ_WRITE);

Is my library screwed up? :lol: The prototype is there in glext.h:

GLAPI GLvoid* APIENTRY glMapBuffer (GLenum, GLenum);

Like, WTF???

Also, I notice there is a “glMapBufferARB” which is not documented – which one should I use? (altho they both return this warning, the “pointer” is always NULL/0, and I always get a GL_INVALID_OPERATION).

Just to be clear, the call is like this:

glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, obj.ID);
ptr = glMapBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB,GL_READ_ONLY);

And variations involving the ARB suffix that all cause the same issue.

I am guessing there is a problem with library, since pretty obviously it is supposed to be of type GLvoid*. Never seen this before. I’m going to try compiling this on a different system now I guess.

Same problem on both FC-10 64-bit and Ubuntu 32-bit, altho it’s the same machine using the same ATI drivers.

Well, did you allocate the memory buffer with glBufferData first?

Yeah, the buffer was created and contains data. The object it describes is rendered fine.

Subsequently, I want to modify the data, which I take it that is what glMapBuffers() was for.

Even if that were the problem, it does not explain why a function typed to return a void* is, according to the compiler, only going to return an int.

I am presuming that the object files do not match my headers (well, they obviously do not, apparently ATI installed the libraries, but all /usr/include files are older, I guess from the base mesa install).

It’s a 2.0 card. Should I file a bug with ATI? This is just wrong – if I could find some example code with MapBuffer() in it I could try that, so far all I’ve found is some ES related stuff.

Okay, the “invalid operation” was because I did not unmap the buffer. But that still does not correct the problem.

A pointer is being returned, but it’s address looks very low and it does not have anything valid attached to it, ie, trying to access anything produces a segfault.

The context is like this: in the render loop, every hundred frames I try to map the buffer after I bind it, make a few changes, then unmap and DrawArrays.

GLfloat *ptr;
[...]
glBindBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, BGround.ID);
if (change) {
	ptr = glMapBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER,GL_READ_WRITE);
//	printf("%p %f
",ptr,ptr[0]); fflush(stdout);
	glUnmapBufferARB(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER);
}
glColorPointer(4, GL_FLOAT, 0, BUFFER_OFFSET(36*sizeof(float)));
glNormalPointer(GL_FLOAT, offset2, BUFFER_OFFSET(offset2/2));
glVertexPointer(3, GL_FLOAT, offset2, BUFFER_OFFSET(0));
glDrawArrays(GL_QUAD_STRIP,0,6);

Everything works fine except for the glMapBufferARB() bit – and if I uncomment the printf, accessing ptr[0] causes a segfault.

According to the spec, a GL_INVALID_OPERATION error from mapping a buffer is due to the buffer already being mapped.

Even if that were the problem, it does not explain why a function typed to return a void* is, according to the compiler, only going to return an int.

That is an issue you should take up with your header file. You, or a library you are using, loaded that function pointer into a variable. Check the type of that variable.

I don’t really follow you here – could you explain a little further?

Anyway, here’s what fixed this. I noticed I would get “implicit declaration” warnings for using any ARB suffixed function*, which can indicate a missing prototype.

Looking thru glext.h, I noticed those are all wrapped in

#ifdef GL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES

So I added “#define GL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES 1” to the top of my code, and those warning disappeared.

I put glMapBuffer back in, exactly as before and now it works. If I remove the define, I again get:

warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast

and a segfault trying to access anything returned by glMap.

So, obviously those functions are in the library object files, but GL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES is not being defined in any header. Is this just a property of mesa, or should it be defined in glATI.h?

*actually, this is also true for those same functions w/o the ARB suffix

This is proper behavior. In fact, if you always want prototypes for everything GL, this is the proper mantra:

#define GL_GLEXT_PROTOTYPES 1
#define GLX_GLXEXT_PROTOTYPES 1
#include <GL/gl.h>
#include <GL/glu.h>
#include <GL/glx.h>

If you don’t need GLU and/or GLX bits, then of course you don’t need to include them.

And this:

is of course a link to the gold-standard glext.h. Your file should match this one, or be an earlier version of it.

Is it also normal that in order to make use of glMapBuffer() I would have to include the same #define?

Yes, or copy/paste the prototype into your code directly, which is an ugly and non-portable solution.

By default in old C, functions return int unless you say otherwise. That likely explains some of the previous results you were getting without a prototype.

That define causes glext.h to pull in proper prototypes for GL functions so that your compiler can type-check function arguments and return value types correctly.