I am having some trouble with the

#version

preprocessor statement. When I use

#version 130

for example I get the following error:

Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors:
ERROR: 0:1: error(#76) Syntax error unexpected tokens following #version
ERROR: error(#273) 1 compilation errors.  No code generated

The reason why I want to change the version from 110 to 130: I wanted to do something like this

mat3 normalMatrix = transpose(inverse(mat3x3(modelViewMatrix)));

However, the compiler says:

ERROR: 0:1: error(#202) No matching overloaded function found inverse
ERROR: 0:1: error(#202) No matching overloaded function found transpose
ERROR: 0:1: error(#160) Cannot convert from 'const float' to '3X3 matrix of float'

so I thought maybe this can be fixed by increasing the version.

Hadn’t even noticed inverse had been added. Looks like it’s a 140 thing.

Weird. Works here on NVidia. What driver vendor/version are you using? And do you know for a fact that it supports GLSL 1.3? Perhaps it doesn’t, and it’s not very good at saying so.

The reason why I want to change the version from 110 to 130: I wanted to do something like this

mat3 normalMatrix = transpose(inverse(mat3x3(modelViewMatrix)));

However, the compiler says:

ERROR: 0:1: error(#202) No matching overloaded function found inverse

Per the SIGGRAPH 2009 OpenGL BOF GLSL slides here, the built-in function inverse() was added in GLSL 1.4.

Make sure you have a newline ("
") at the end of the #version line.

Patrick

Oh ok, looks like I have to create an OpenGL 3 context, if I want to use inverse() in the shader.

Well, this is an excerpt of the beginning of the shader

#version 130

in  vec4 a2v_position;
in  vec3 a2v_normal;
//...

So there is definitely a
;). The weird thing is, if I write

#version 150

I get the following error

ERROR: 0:1: error(#106) Version number not supported by GL2
ERROR: error(#273) 2 compilation errors.  No code generated

So the compiler is in fact able to recognize #version 150 but not anything after that.

Btw. the ‘syntax error’ happens with any preprocessor statement. Even with just #line 1 for example.

ERROR: error(#273) 2 compilation errors.  No code generated

The same problem under 3.1 context. I guess you are on ATI, right?

Yes, but it doesn’t work on NVidia either. The error gets even weirder there!

0(1) : error C0129: invalid char 'i' in integer constant suffix
0(1) : error C0129: invalid char 'n' in integer constant suffix
(0) : error C0000: syntax error, unexpected $end at token "<EOF>"
(0) : error C0501: type name expected at token "<invalid atom -1>"

Also keep in mind that this part is expected

since I do not have a GL3 context in my app (yet).

Btw. the ‘syntax error’ happens with any preprocessor statement. Even with just #line 1 for example.

That sounds like you’re passing your string in wrong. Are there any byte-order marks or anything? Is this a UTF-16 string or something?

Ok, now this is just getting weird. Let’s see your glShaderSource() invocation, with a single constant (hard-coded in the source code) string being fed as input. Post a little 10-line test program that demonstrates the problem so we can get our hands on it. I suspect you’ll figure this out while you’re cooking it.

//nvm, got it :D… no
are read with my file read function

Have you considered inverting the matrix on the CPU and passing that as a uniform? If your matrix is not modified per-vertex or per-fragment, this could provide a significant speed gain.

The GLSL compiler could do this automatically if it detects that only uniforms are used as input to the “invert” function, but I don’t know if it does. I am still using GLSL 1.20 so I don’t have this function.

Yep, it’s a long shot but it could be he’s hinting at the compiler optimization trick that’s documented in the DX-files - the so-called “pre-shader”: the compiler factors out “batch constant” expressions involving uniforms and hoists them up into their own shader to be run as a sort of “batch preprocess” on the CPU. It’s an “effect” thing, but in a perfect world it could probably be a shader thing too. :wink:

What should be done to solve this issue ???

Have you considered inverting the matrix on the CPU and passing that as a uniform?

My experiences with the glsl invert function were not good. It did not seem to give a very accurate invert matrix.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.