Some questions on deferred lighting

Hey guys
Some time ago I started working at a engine that uses deferred lighting.
Works nice but I don’t have some features yet like spotlights.
I tried adding it but I think I have a problem with the spot direction not being in the viewspace

I’ve read I have to do something like this

vec3 sd = vec3(0,1,0);
float spotEffect = dot(normalize(l),sd);
if(spotEffect > cos(45.0))
{
  //Draw the pixel
}

I’m not usre how to fix this and searching around the internet I didn’t find anything about a deferred spotlight example.

Also I want to implement shadow maps but for omnidirectinal lights I’ve read the about the cubemap. However I can’t afford to render the scene 6 times for a single light so then I got to dual paraboloid mapping. That seems to be more normal for me. My question here is: If I have more light sources how do I combine all the shadow maps in one to render all the lights with all the shadows. I hope I dont have to make a shadowmap for each light because I want to have a lot of lights in the scene. Now for omnidirectinal without shadows I can run up to 4k lights on the scene. I imagine that will drastically lower with shadows but I still hope to get a big number.

Another question is about instancing.
What is the method that gives the best performance? Ive read about storing all the data in a texture. Is that the best way?

I have more questions but for now these are the most important.

I have no idea if this is helpful (i am relatively new to all this myself…), but regarding your spot direction question …since the spot direction is a direction like normals are - have you considered multiplying the direction with the gl_NormalMatrix to switch to eye space?

Yes but the thing is that in the lighting pass I don’t have the normal matrix anymore

Spotlights: I see no difference from non-deferred rendering.
You can reconstruct the world position of a fragment, so it’s not a problem to find an angle (probably cos(alpha)) and compare it with threshold of the spotlight.

Combined shadow maps: I have no idea how to combine them.
The most I can suggest is to use one single shadow map iterating across light sources.
Disadvantage - bad job parallelism - each operation requires result of the previous.

Omni-directional lights: You probably don’t need to render each object 6 times if setting up proper CPU-side frustum culling.
If the number of draws still matters, consider tetrahedral mapping.

“You can reconstruct the world position of a fragment”
I reconstruct the viewspace position not the world position. I also get the light in the viewspace position to use it.

Whatever space you prefer… you have light position & direction in this space as well as fragment position.
What’s the problem with spot light? Calculate the ‘cos’ of light direction and sample direction vectors, then compare with falloff ‘cos’.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.