OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Official feedback on OpenGL 3.1 thread

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Re: Official feedback on OpenGL 3.1 thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eosie
    I'd like to see the direct state access in the next version, but the question is whether it is performance-wise. I was told that glBind* calls do a hash table lookup, which sort of defends the idea of bind-once-use-many-times.
    Direct-state access should not need to do hash-lookups anymore, because GL3 introduced, that you are forced to generate objects using glGen* calls. It is an error to generate a handle by simply using it. Therefore hash-tables are not necessary anymore.

In practice that doesn't mean it isn't done anymore. It is hilarious how fast nVidia claims to support GL3+ simply by adding a "compatibility"-extension to their list. It should be called NV_we_dont_need_to_change_anything.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Member Regular Contributor

[quote=Jan]
    Quote Originally Posted by Eosie
    In practice that doesn't mean it isn't done anymore. It is hilarious how fast nVidia claims to support GL3+ simply by adding a "compatibility"-extension to their list. It should be called NV_we_dont_need_to_change_anything.
    their forward compatible context seems to expose the extension but is missing the functionality, so i think/hope that they are taking advantage of the cleaner interface.

Quote Originally Posted by RickA
    I think there's a small error in the glspec31.20090324.pdf document regarding the Uniform Buffer Objects. On page 50, near the bottom it says:

Uniform buffer objects provide the storage for named uniform
    blocks, so the values of active uniforms in named uniform blocks may be changed
    by modifying the contents of the buffer object using commands such as Buffer-
    Data, BufferSubData, MapBuffer, and UnmapBuffer. Uniforms in a named
    uniform block are not assigned a location and may <u>be</u> be modified using the Uni-
    form* commands. The offsets and strides of all active uniforms belonging to
    named uniform blocks of a program object are invalidated and new ones assigned
    after each successful re-link.
    I imagine this is supposed to be
    Uniform buffer objects provide the storage for named uniform
    blocks, so the values of active uniforms in named uniform blocks may be changed
    by modifying the contents of the buffer object using commands such as Buffer-
    Data, BufferSubData, MapBuffer, and UnmapBuffer. Uniforms in a named
    uniform block are not assigned a location and may <u>NOT</u> be modified using the Uni-
    form* commands. The offsets and strides of all active uniforms belonging to
    named uniform blocks of a program object are invalidated and new ones assigned
    after each successful re-link.
    Your assessment of the typo is correct. Uniforms in a UBO may not be accessed with the old API.

Intern Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by M/\dm/\n
    By the way, are those gl3.h headers available somewhere? And yes, why <GL3/gl3.h> not <GL/gl3.h> like <GL/glaux.h>, <GL/glu.h>
    The name for the header file is largely an arbitrary choice. <GL3/gl3.h> matches OpenGL ES conventions (the header file for OpenGL ES 2.0 is <GLES2/gl2.h>).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Barris
    Your assessment of the typo is correct. Uniforms in a UBO may not be accessed with the old API.
    Is there a specific reason for this? In D3D10, it is possible to use both buffer access api and the effect framework to update uniforms which are in constant buffer blocks in the shader.

Intern Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ZbuffeR
    The spec suggest to use the <GL3/gl3.h> header instead of classic gl.h header. But nobody seem to know when it will be available
    Ok that sounds a bit more like it - though I'm still a bit unclear about it; as if for example I set up my code to be including the gl stuff from GL3/gl3.h, but then I am including glext.h for some other extensions, wouldn't that mean that I'd implicitly be including the ARB_compatibility extension and therefore the compiler would just accept all my old code?

Is that right - or does anyone know whether there's going to be something within gl3.h that we can #define like a GL_DISABLE_COMPATIBILITY?

Thanks

a header alone will not do it. for example in GL3.1 you can not call glGetString with GL_EXTENSIONS, but the GL_EXTENSIONS token is still in the gl3.h header file because you can use it with another function. so including the gl3.h header does not ensure that your code is GL3.1 compliant.

Super Moderator OpenGL Lord

The spec refers to both gl3.h and gl3ext.h

Intern Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ZbuffeR
    The spec refers to both gl3.h and gl3ext.h
    Ah great - thanks

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

OpenGL doomed itself to be honest. With its current direction it will be neither a CAD preferable nor a good competitor to Direct3D 10/11 or even 9 which are already established in the game industry and video card standards.

OpenGL should at least stick to its playground where it rules, the CAD application arena!

Now GL is put face to face to D3D, and either game creators start adopting it sooner, or CAD companies start porting their stuff to D3D.