Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GeForce GTX 280... what for us, programmers? :)

Super Moderator Frequent Contributor Groovounet's Avatar

GeForce GTX 280... what for us, programmers? :)

This is it, GeForce GTX 280 announced, reviews read, well the real excitement is: "what could we do and how?" I want OpenGL extensions! nVidia is always fast for this so I guest it will come soon...

if any!

I mean, it seems that the only new feature is double precision floating numbers... Not really exiting for real-time but I'm sure it could be useful for some persons... for scientists... for CUDA.

Moreover it doesn't seem that double precision images is possible... so no render to double precision framebuffer. It seems that the stream-out could be the only way for double precision result. I guest double precision buffer could be available.

I hope they will be more, let's see, but if anyone have an extension log from a GeForce GTX 280... please share it on this post ^_^.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Re: GeForce GTX 280... what for us, programmers? :)

That is undoubtedly the best part of extensions, getting a new card (and sometimes just a new driver), and watching that extension list roll for the first time.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

I thought the GTX 280 didn't support anything new over the G80 core?

EDIT: Ohh nice, doubles... does this mean we'll see 64-bit integer textures too???

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Great! Now, if they were actually able to implement 32 Bit float textures that don't kill your performance, i might see a point in adding 64 Bit support.

Oh and another thing: Render-to-texture that INCLUDES early-z and early-stencil tests in non-trivial use-cases. Now THAT would make their hardware somewhat useful.

The whole GXT 280 thing reminds me of 3dfx: "hey, we don't need to improve our chips, lets just put MORE of them on one board!"

I doubt that new chip is anything good. It's just brute-force. And that never worked in this kind of industry.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Is it possible to do ANYTHING out of the ordinary that doesn't kill the optimizations such as early-z/etc.? I hate having to design around that. Too much to remember.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Re: GeForce GTX 280... what for us, programmers? :

Technically speaking i suspect that the GXT 280 does not only have a new naming system and double precision floating numbers, it might have gotten rid of the last fixed function hardware, and now does graphics in "software", that might be why there is little mention of new extensions.
    Any nvidian can correct me if im way out of line here, but if that is true it means that as fast as they can create new standards for new extensions they can implement it with the only restriction being total system processing power.

"it might have gotten rid of the last fixed function hardware"

Do you mean blending operations and maybe filtering? Because that the only parts I can see that would be programmable. I guest that on Radeon HD cards the blending is already programmable... by them hardware ready, extension isn't.

Maybe the input assembler would become programmable (with DX11) for tessellation unit purpose but I don't think that most of the ROPs would ever be (except blending.)

Intern Newbie

I've just read in an article of an german gamer magazine (www.gamestar.de) that the gtx 280 partly supports directx 10.1. So there should be some new features, but I couldn't find any more detailed information on that yet.

I think that G80 also support partly DX10.1 because I think that GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 is a feature of DX10.1 and supported by G80 already

Actually, it doesn't. From the spec:

While this extension does provide separate blend enables, it does not
    provide separate blend functions or blend equations per color output.
    I believe DX10.1 allows separate blend functions/equations per output.