Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I demand someone run with this idea !!

Junior Member Newbie

I demand someone run with this idea !!

Okay, this is most extraordinary. Watch this video then think about what it would be like if people started integrated this technology into OpenGL applications.

Scratch that thinking, I demand someone implement some cool demos using this tech and post their links back on this forum!

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Zengar's Avatar

Re: I demand someone run with this idea !!

Nice stuff! Unfortunately I don't own a Wii Why don't you do some demos yourself?

Junior Member Newbie

I don't own a wii either, but the remote can be bought as a stand alone accessory for much less than an actual Wii.

Now as to why am I not writing a demo using the technology/techniques described in the video ... who's to say I'm not? I just thought I'd pass the idea around to others an hope more people experiment with it as well. If enough people try it out it's likely more cool ideas will be created.

Peace out brotha'

Junior Member Regular Contributor CatDog's Avatar

Cool! This would let you sneak around the corner in a first person game...

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

Brilliant. I already support head tracked 'holographic' stereo using expensive trackers such as intersense etc. Combining a tracked head with a proper skewed frustum stereo setup is incredibly thrilling to see, and now we can do the tracking for 15!
    This will be a drop-in implementation...something for the new year.
    Knackered

Junior Member Newbie

Be sure to also look at these other Wii remote projects by the same author here. I think they are nearly equally as cool.

Something I think that makes this project different from other head tracking solutions is that this provides real-time positioning and orientation in XYZ space. The Wii remote provides data at a faster rate, at a greater angle (the remote has a 45 degree FOV), and a further distance than those other more expensive head tracking only tools. Finally there is no SDK to integrate. Sources are available here and a discussion is here.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Something I think that makes this project different from other head tracking solutions is that this provides real-time positioning and orientation in XYZ space.
    You've never worked with a real VR installation, have you?

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

Indeed, what a load of bollocks.
    IS900's, Motionstar, Lazerbird's, these are all much more stable and accurate than the wii remote. The Lazerbird actually uses roughly the same principle as this wii remote idea. Also, something like an IS900 doesn't have the occlusion problem of the wii remote (and the lazerbird).
    But this solution is so insanely cheap compared to all those that it's actually a very significant development, in my opinion.
    Knackered

Senior Member OpenGL Pro sqrt[-1]'s Avatar

This is is interesting, if I can get the hardware (and get it to work) I may make a update to that Free-Cam plugin for GLIntercept.

If anyone has success converting the sample project over to mostly C++, let me know.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

There is also free head tracking system FreeTrack which utilizes ordinary webcam with some modding. Or commercial TrackIR ($200) which has specialized hw and specializes itself on gaming.