OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 122 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1724

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

the index offset shouldn't be part of the object though - it should be part of the draw call.

Quote Originally Posted by pudman
    As a comparison, no one complains (as vocally) about Microsoft's development of D3D behind closed doors. The reason is likely that:
    I think the reason is that D3D development is "open just enough". MS does go out to game developers and ask them what do they want, what they would like to be improved, and how. It does the same with IHVs. And with some people who are "important enough in graphics or D3D land" (this includes various well known graphics people, D3D MVPs, and so on).

Yes, MS does act as the final aggregator/moderator of all the suggestions and wishes. And they get the stuff done.

So to me, it seems as if OpenGL is not that much more "open" than D3D (*)... Except that OpenGL does not have a single authoritative decision maker, and does not seem to be able to get stuff done either.

(*) Who is on ARB? IHVs and various "important companies / people". Who MS talks to when designing next D3D? IHVs and various "important companies / people". Find a difference.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by knackered
    yeah, that doesn't sound like an ugly hack one little bit.
    You mean like detecting the name of the executable making the OpenGL calls to adjust the settings of the driver?

Anyway, no, I don't think a caching mechanism is a hack.

the index offset shouldn't be part of the object though - it should be part of the draw call.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord crc
    Anyway, no, I don't think a caching mechanism is a hack.
    If it's an unspecified implementation specific caching mechanism, then yes, it's a hack.

Member Regular Contributor

To be honest I'd prefer to see a single object that describes the mesh to be rendered - including the draw call parameters.

If it's an unspecified implementation specific caching mechanism, then yes, it's a hack.
    OpenGL specifies behaviour, not implementation (nor performance characteristics). Following your line of reasoning all implementations would just be huge accumulations of hacks by definition.

true, what I should have said was that me writing code that relies on an IHV's possible caching mechanism to get the performance I need would be a hack.

Member Regular Contributor

You're always relying on implementations being fast for the specific call sequence you're using. That's not a hack, it's implicit in the fact that OpenGL doesn't give performance guarantees. What the implementation does internally doesn't matter, it's the same whether it uses caching to avoid doing some work or whether it simply doesn't have to do much work at all.

Completely re-specifying buffer bindings is likely to be expensive. Like swapping a texture used to be. To assume that the IHV has an implementation that doesn't make it expensive is a finger-in-the-air hack in my opinion. However, to have a mechanism whereby you do not need to completely re-specify buffer bindings is not a hack, even though no guarantees are given that it would be any faster. The fact is that the existence of the mechanism implies better performance, and will likely be mentioned as a motive for the mechanism in the specification for said mechanism.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

What are vertex declarations for when you have GL's flexible setup.
    GL 3.0 won't be having that "flexible" setup, if the last information dump is any indication. There will be a vertex array object that explicitly defines what attributes it expects to use. That way, the driver can say, "Sorry, I don't support that," if you ask for something like unnormalized unsigned short that the implementation doesn't support. It also allows the driver to do the setup and verification stuff once and never again.

Flexibility can get in the way of reasonable optimizations. And when it does, it needs to go away.

You're always relying on implementations being fast for the specific call sequence you're using. That's not a hack, it's implicit in the fact that OpenGL doesn't give performance guarantees. What the implementation does internally doesn't matter, it's the same whether it uses caching to avoid doing some work or whether it simply doesn't have to do much work at all.
    The point is to be able to supply the implementation with enough information to be able to make reasonable optimizations. A driver that can't optimize the index offset will simply internally respecify pointers. A driver that has no overhead for pointer specification will simply respecify pointers. A driver that can optimize for it will.

It is much harder to do this the other way, where a user simply respecifies pointers. You would have to ensure that each pointer was offset from the others, and offset by the same amount, based on parameters that can change. That's one of the reasons for OpenGL 3.0 to begin with: to be better able to communicate with the driver.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Obviously, at this point, it'll have to be an extension in some form for it to be usefull in the way it was suggested. I guess my point was that it didn't have to be the way it is.

Anyway, it's a bit academical at this point. If you're introducing a new extension, you might as well just introduce the extended draw call.