Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 68 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

Lord crc: Take a look at DhMod Tool, it allows you to easily install any ATI desktop driver on your laptop. I used it for several years, to be able to use up to date drivers.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Member Regular Contributor

Hmmmm......
    whois http://opengl3.org

Domain Name:OPENGL3.ORG
    Created On:30-Oct-2007 01:00:20 UTC
    Last Updated On:29-Apr-2008 00:26:48 UTC
    Expiration Date:30-Oct-2010 01:00:20 UTC
    Registrant Organization:Khronos Group

I really hope we could get an OGL3 update at Siggraph 2008, yep!

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Korval
    reasonable FBO extensions like the depth+stencil buffers or the multisample extensions, which ATi still doesn't support no matter how long they have been out.
    Now, ATi DOES support them, check it out...

For you guys who have been complaining about Mobility Radeon drivers - here you have a direct link to them, they are updated every month: http://ati.amd.com/online/mobilecatalyst/ (works for me)
    (usually just hobbyist) OpenGL driver developer

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by santyhamer
    Hmmmm......
    whois http://opengl3.org

Domain Name:OPENGL3.ORG
    Created On:30-Oct-2007 01:00:20 UTC
    Last Updated On:29-Apr-2008 00:26:48 UTC
    Expiration Date:30-Oct-2010 01:00:20 UTC
    Registrant Organization:Khronos Group

I really hope we could get an OGL3 update at Siggraph 2008, yep!
    That become to be interesting.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

That I don't know \:\) Khronos somehow get the money for it's operations, right? (I assume some member fees or whatever) Yes, paying a programming team is new expenses, but having a committee arguing over the spec is expenses as well.
    Not really. The ARB is made up of volunteers. They donate a portion of their time to the ARB. The expenses for meetings are fairly negligible, particularly compared to hiring staff, providing IT support, etc.

Khronos is an organization, not a company. The membership fees are not nearly enough to hire a real programming staff.

And I still believe that a lexer, parser, dead code eliminator, nop eliminator and basic common code/subexpression optimizer are fairly platform and hardware independent things.
    Some of that, yes. But then they have to develop 2 language specifications. One for glslang, the other for the intermediate language that they use internally. And if you think it was hard to make glslang, imagine how hard it will be for a lower-level language that has to somehow support the above optimizations while still providing enough high-level syntax to allow for greater optimizations.

Actually I think ATI uses/used it? At least the ATI driver complains in the exact same way on the exact same code as the 3dlabs one
    Yes, ATi did use it. However, nVidia decided to tweak their Cg compiler, because they didn't like glslang and wanted to force Cg on us.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Jan
    Take a look at DhMod Tool, it allows you to easily install any ATI desktop driver on your laptop. I used it for several years, to be able to use up to date drivers.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out. However, even if it does work, I do NOT consider this a viable solution for regular users.

Quote Originally Posted by Eosie
    For you guys who have been complaining about Mobility Radeon drivers - here you have a direct link to them, they are updated every month: http://ati.amd.com/online/mobilecatalyst/ (works for me)
    First of all, if I go the official route, I end up with a program that says my laptop is not supported by their driver. The installer for the driver you posted simply quits and does not install itself.

Now, I guess I do understand the reason why they've done this. The annoying part is rather that their old drivers have such poor OpenGL support.

But then they have to develop 2 language specifications. One for glslang, the other for the intermediate language that they use internally.
    Well if they only developed the intermediate language, then others could write the front-end... However since I don't know all the possible optimizations that can be done with some glsl code, I can't say how viable this option is.

Some of that, yes. But then they have to develop 2 language specifications. One for glslang, the other for the intermediate language that they use internally. And if you think it was hard to make glslang, imagine how hard it will be for a lower-level language that has to somehow support the above optimizations while still providing enough high-level syntax to allow for greater optimizations.
    No one is saying it's going to be easy. But if the competition (in this case, Microsoft) can develop a spec (yes, D3D does have a spec), a working compiler, a binary format and all related tools, then it's basic laws of economics. If a competing API is better, people tend to use it (where possible). Competition should nudge OpenGL into becoming better as well.

But like I said, in my book this all of this does not really matter. Just use whatever API is best on the platform/hardware in question. So far on Windows D3D9 (or D3D10 if you're fancy) is clearly a better choice. On Mac, Linux etc. OpenGL is clearly the best (and at the same time the worst ) choice. On consoles the proprietary APIs are the choice. On mobile platforms it's something like GL ES.

No big deal. I am just trying to think up the features that OpenGL should have if it ever wants to be a viable choice on some platforms (Windows in this case). If they won't ever have that - fine, I will happily continue using D3D. If OpenGL ever becomes better than D3D - fine, I will use OpenGL. APIs are not some religion things, they're just tools to get the job done.

Again, all this is highly subjective.

Intern Contributor

However, nVidia decided to tweak their Cg compiler, because they didn't like glslang and wanted to force Cg on us.
    Well, CG isnt bad at all. And i dont think they force us. CG is a great thing imho, and the fact that is made by a nVidia is good also, they know better how to made it that everybody else since they make the cards. And they cover all profiles.

Member Regular Contributor

I think the nicest thing about CG is that it comes with an effect system. That way, it is much easier to organize shaders beyond the simple separete vertex/geometry/fragment shader files GLSL pretty much enforces. Having a single file containing shared uniforms and shared functions is very usefull.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

conversely, I think that's the most useless part of Cg.