Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 42 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Intern Newbie

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

The suggestion wasn't meant to be a high performance (end-) solution, rather supplying a working driver that people can use to start toying around when GL3 arrives. Writing such a router to opengl32.dll is probably not too hard for someone with experience with both APIs?

Else this "we want specs!" topic will be replaced by a "we want drivers!" topic, once the specs are available. ;-)

Hey maybe I'm just speculating here, but I just took a look at the Khronos group slides at http://www.khronos.org/developers/library/ ... specifically the "OpenGL, COLLADA, and glFX Overview" one and the latest GDC 2008 one as well. It appears to me almost as if the group is just going to Mt. Evans. It also appears as if the main focus has been on getting OpenGL ES 2 out the door and then we'll see OpenGL 3 arrive...

What do you all think?

Junior Member Newbie

Speculation is pointless now. It's better to wait for *real* things. In the mean time, we should work on the new GPL graphic stack for Linux and its drivers. We will have very interesting, modern and hardwired for performance interfaces.
    Actually, it would quite reassuring to see the "non identified people" working on opengl3 interfaces following the stack development.

Junior Member Newbie

Pardon me, but I skimmed this thread and didn't find a link to documents that reflect the current thinking on OpenGL 3. Is there any document that goes beyond "we'll remove a lot of stuff, we'll change a lot of stuff, and we'll add a lot of stuff"? I don't ask for the formal spec, but I'd like to see API mockups, planned objects, handling of the asynchronous creation. It would be nice see the road ahead, the general direction, parts that are already settled, and parts, which have several competing proposals.

I am pretty sure that there is a wise editor of this spec, who has all this information already. Can anybody share the knowledge? Or at least point me to documents I missed.

Junior Member Regular Contributor CatDog's Avatar

elazutkin: First of all, read the quarterly "pipeline newsletters"!

CatDog

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CatDog
    ... quarterly ...

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

quarterly means it's going to cost you 2 bits to see the next newsletter.. (can't get a shave and a haircut for that anymore).

What do we need with intermediate details anyway? When the spec and drivers are released we'll all be a picking and a grinning.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Only good thing about the delay is that if Duke Nukem Forever is released this year, OpenGL 3 will be the perfect replacement candidate for all those jokes...

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Lord crc
    Only good thing about the delay is that if Duke Nukem Forever is released this year, OpenGL 3 will be the perfect replacement candidate for all those jokes...
    Hmm.. thats sadly..

Last time I checked in here was in December 2007, anything happen with the spec since then?