Hi Simon -
The general idea for 3.1 and beyond includes a few components:
- doing a more consistent and timely job of exposing hardware functionality
- reducing and removing deprecated functionality
- more strongly aligning on a set of common required features to slim down the extension forest
- more strongly schedule-driven process for updating the API regularly
- responding to specific ISV needs where possible
- providing developer guidance on migration to newer API revisions as early as possible.
- keeping the IHV / implementation work pipeline full - notice that 3.0 implementations are now arriving, and 3.1 / 3.2 specification efforts have been underway for some time already in parallel.