Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Call to Action: Ensure that OpenGL remains a first class API under Windows Vista

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru

Re: Call to Action: Ensure that OpenGL remains a first class API under Windows Vista

Why does this Areo thing or compositing thing use D3D? Aren't most windowed 3D programs using GL?

Personally, I think that this problem would only serve to encourage developers to switch to D3D. End users of software may complain to ISV which would also have the effect of developers switching to D3D.

Given enough time, GL's share will erode, very much like the egyptian pyramids are eroding.

I don't know what the case of mobiles is. GL ES also has competition from MS.
    ------------------------------
    Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
    an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
    float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
    glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
    glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
    glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
    glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
    glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Re: Call to Action: Ensure that OpenGL remains a first class API under Windows Vista

Whay some accept the idea of having DirectX ported to linux, and at the same time complain about it in its native platform?

And it will only hurts windows platform, that OpenGL sucks under it so many softare andf game developers will have less interest in supporting Windows. This is because big software like Maya, softimage, Lightwave, and game Quake's, Doom 3, Unreal and so on maintain different paltforms: Win/Lin/Mac so they have to make at least two ports with OpenGL and one port for Windows. Then they cannot stop support of OpenGL otherwise they are going to loose two platforms from the market share. You see. so the only doomed platform where openGL will be poor and hence will gain a bad reputation however is Microsoft Windows Vista.

Junior Member Newbie

Today I tried the (LDDM) ATI Vista drivers that just came out. And I'm sad to report that there is no genuine OpenGL support in them (allthough I expected as much). Just the OpenGL-D3D Translator. For anyone interested, I summorized my findings with Vista and OpenGL on http://www.OrganicVectory.nl

Junior Member Newbie

I think one place to write to, also, could be
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups...per.winfx.aero

You'll need a .net passport to post there(an account on hotmail can do it)....

Junior Member Newbie

We must think logically. If opengl is strong (realy it is strong), so we should not worry about this matter.
    Opengl is on Linux and ... , so we can develop on it.
    Last, we should not forget that DirectX is good and it is for game programming (Direct3D).
    Bye.

Intern Contributor

If we think logically, there are four great things for game industry:
    1) OpenGL (OpenGL ES)
    2) OpenAL
    3) OpenML
    4) OpenVG

This stuff is open and free. It makes possible to make games for ANY platform, not just Windows. Btw, Sony didn’t accidentally choose OpenGL standard for PS3.

What does this mean? It means that game and application developers will see opportunity to use these APIs for development, since it makes sense:

1) Larger desktop market: Windows, Linux, Mac…
    2) Less work - investments ($)
    3) Ability to enter console PS3, PSP market
    4) Ability to port to mobile devices

If you think logically, this is exactly what Microsoft doesn’t want. So there is actually no problem (technical or otherwise) to have OpenGL on Windows Vista – the only “problem” is because Microsoft doesn’t want it.

Think about it:
    What if tomorrow all systems could have hi quality games (free Linux, Mac)?
    What if Sony PS3 could run games for PC (written in OpenGL/AL/ML technology?

You will find answer who and why obstruct OpenGL standard. And this is not Microsoft bashing. It is common sense.

Junior Member Newbie

I talk in France from this:
    http://lecbna.com/
    http://cbna.forumactif.com/viewtopic.forum?t=647

It would be read this evenning by minimum Hundred person.

Junior Member Newbie

I don't know about MS monopolistic plan, but I'd like to have some more info about the ( eventual ) techical problems that might rise in having full openGL support through aeroglass.

1) Is it true that only one API at a time can retain control of the graphic subsystem? If so, is it feasable for the HW vendors/MS to build a virtualization layer that has the exclusive control of it and lets D3D and OGL work toghether?

2) Does OGL actually have all the features needed to run aeroglass? ( i.e. frame-buffer partitioning, video memory virtualization...). Are they ARB features yet?

3) As OGL dirvers are pretty different from D3D ones, not to mention the new Longhorn driver model, and the extension fetching method isn't that clean, safe and comfortable, is it possible for the ARB to issue a new OGL base implementation that better fits MS models?

Thanks!

Byez =8)!
    Ob1
    Byez =8)!
    Ob1

Junior Member Newbie

I think that the compatibility option in the program ejecutable properties is a good solution.

"[x] Run in compatibility mode" System : [Window XP-OpenGL]

"[x] Run in OpenGL ICD fullscreen mode"

"[x] Force run OpenGL ICD and DWM in my own risk"

This maintain the Aeroglass composite desktop while no OpenGL fullscreen application is running. When the game in running the system switch off all the D3D stuff.

This can be only a patch, Of course the best solution is that ISV and IHV work with microsoft to write a ICD that substitute MSOGL and be compatible with the Aeroglass composite desktop.

Junior Member Newbie

I haven't read all the replies, but it seems that M$ wants to strangle OpenGL out of existance not only to compete with platforms like Playstation but perhaps also to shoot for making linux less of a desktop OS choice. How many fewer people are going to switch to linux if games are not ported over when they don't make the money they'd also make on Windows. What I mean is, the main development would be for windows and secondary for linux. I just hope companies start programming directly for OpenGL in linux. I prefer it as a gaming platform anyhow. I get better framerates in Gentoo than I do in WinXP Pro.
    You can't have bread and loaf