Opengl fragment shaders

hi everybody,
i am just seeking a little hint.
I have been studing the per vertex and per fragment programs for a month now, and i think i am beginning to understand the whole thing a little more now.
Now that i have a little understanding on the argument i would like to know what kind of shader language should be the most useful to learn.
For what i can see i have 2 choices (and half).
Should I learn assembly like programs used with GL_*_PROGRAM_ARB, or the c like OGSL shaders? The half choice should ne NVidia’s CG, but as for now i’d prefer a cross platform language, so i won’t consider studing a card specific shading method.

Does someone knows what shading language will use OpenGL 2? It would be nice to study something that WON’T get obsolete in the next few months…
thanks for the help,
the Gunslinger…

Moving to shading language forum.

Opengl Shading Language are the only shader language that will be standard in Opengl, but for now, isn’t supported in his totallity by any 3D Card. Only 3DLabs and ATI cards supports GLSLang but i hope that NVidia will do it too.

As you learn one shading lanuage you learn them all… It took me about 3 minutes to write my first Cg shader… and it was a rather complex one. The compiler compiled it wrong thought. Cg has so much bugs!

–>> just a no use info <<–
after a morning of work,
my first shader started to work
grin

anyone here, have the know-how to make a glide to opengl wrapper, like Opengl is based off Glide anyway

Opengl is based off Glide anyway[/b]

Eh?

Lol

It’s true. When SGI invented OpenGL back in '91, they actually time travelled into the future and copied 3DFX’s proprietary graphics library, rather than just basing it of IrixGL like you might expect.

lol!
I guess it’s the "GL"ide that fools people.

But the APIs are totally different.

Originally posted by bunny:
It’s true. When SGI invented OpenGL back in '91, they actually time travelled into the future and copied 3DFX’s proprietary graphics library, rather than just basing it of IrixGL like you might expect.

And then sued 3dfx for using technology they invented based on the precedence case of the “Hitchhiker’s Guide through the Galaxy” publishers pre-dating their guide by time-traveling back, right?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.