GLSL, ShaderModel 3.0 etc

Hi,

Can anyone clarify the relationship in features that ShaderModel 3.0 has with GLSL - ie: will a card that fully supports SM3.0 fully implement GLSL? - or are there differences that mean full GLSL support will arrive later?

Thanks,

Caspar.

I think with SM3.0 the majority of GLSL will be supported. I think the only feature what might cause problems are the noise functions. Anything else like loops, dynamic branching, vertex shader texture sampling, … should be supported.

Is there something similar to the PS 3.0 backface register in GLSL? And texture sampling with a user provided gradient?

Originally posted by PK:
Is there something similar to the PS 3.0 backface register in GLSL?
gl_FrontFacing

Originally posted by PK:
And texture sampling with a user provided gradient?
The dFdx() and dFdy() stdlib functions can be used with the standard texture lookup functions.

Originally posted by Corrail:
I think with SM3.0 the majority of GLSL will be supported. I think the only feature what might cause problems are the noise functions. Anything else like loops, dynamic branching, vertex shader texture sampling, … should be supported.
Great - so (in theory) Nvidia should be releasing some pretty featured drivers for GLSL that the GF6 will handle :cool:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.