Will CPW compile on Mac OS X and Linux?

I am looking for a cross-platform windowing kit to integrate into my work environment. I work at an engineering research and development firm in Newfoundland, Canada. The majority of our work is done using the win32 gui toolkit and we want to look into the possibility of producing applications that will compile on all major OSes using the same source.

Will CPW compile on Mac OS X and Linux? Is it possible to write GUI code that will compile without changes on all of these OSes?

Will CPW compile on Mac OS X and Linux? Is it possible to write GUI code that will compile without changes on all of these OSes?

At this current point in time there are no OSX or Linux ports of Cpw. The library was designed for easy porting but i’ve left it up to the development communities for each to port to these platforms. I personally don’t program on Linux or OSX.

I’m curious what you mean by GUI? Are you looking for windowing and event functionality or user interface widgets?

Regards,
Jim

GLFW compiles under Linux. If we’re lucky, it will also compile under MacOS X some time in the future (some work is done - but nothing is guaranteed at this point).

GLFW does not support GUI functions natively (I suppose you mean things like interactive buttons, list views, sliders etc), but there are ways of generating GUI-functionality in an OpenGL window. For instance you may want to have a look at GLUI . Unfortunately it only supports GLUT, but my guess is that it is possible to port it to GLFW (I have not tried it myself yet).

I was looking for something with widgets. I suppose widgets could be achieved in CPW, but I think I’ll give GLUI a spin for now.

Thank you for your replies.

There are some ok widget libraries out there if you don’t have any trouble using C++. I’d like to put together a nice ansi c widget lib but am not in a rush to do it. good luck!