Installing GLUT with Cygwin

I’ve just installed cygwin and am trying to use glut. So I downloaded the files, and read the readme file where it says “Microsoft Developer Studio 6 workspace and project files have been included in the source code distribution.” and then “First, open Microsoft Developer Studio.” I don’t know where this Microsoft Developer Studio is. So I tried unzipping the files and putting them in the cygwin directory but it doesn’t seem to have done the trick. Any suggestions???

shellyk,
maybe the following stuff will help you:

find out which cygwin version you’re running. a lot of things are running much smoother with the current version, which is 1.3.12. to check, type “uname -a” at the bash prompt. the numbers right before the first parenthese show the cygwin version.

the currently available version of OGL on cygwin is 1.1.0-5, as far as i know. it is important to understand, that the real OGL APIs are not part of this package. the package contains header files and some dlls to acces the glu, glut or glui functions. find more details in the readme in /usr/doc/opengl-1.1.0. the real OGL APIs are part of the OS or the graphic card driver.

if you are running w2k or wnt you’re fine, cause OGL is part of the standard installation. on w95 you have to download the OGL parts from here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/win95upg/info/1/W95/EN-US/Opengl95.exe

you definitely don’t need the MS developer studio stuff (nobody needs it… ;-)) ).

i’m running cygwin 1.3.12 on w2k-sp3 with a geforce4 card and everything running fine for me. i compiled many of the sources from opengl.org and there are working well (even with gcc-2.95). the only important thing is to follow the hints regarding linking in the readme file mentioned above.

bye bertus

p.s.: if you like, let me know about you were successful.

Originally posted by shellyk:
I’ve just installed cygwin and am trying to use glut. So I downloaded the files, and read the readme file where it says “Microsoft Developer Studio 6 workspace and project files have been included in the source code distribution.” and then “First, open Microsoft Developer Studio.” I don’t know where this Microsoft Developer Studio is. So I tried unzipping the files and putting them in the cygwin directory but it doesn’t seem to have done the trick. Any suggestions???

Thanks for your reply, but I still haven’t managed to get it to work. I’m just trying to run a simple C code, using OpenGL and glut. I should mention that I’m a beginner at this. When I try to compile the file, I get many error messages of the form:
undefined reference to ‘glClearColor’,
‘glMatrixMode’, ‘glLoadIdentity’ … ‘glutInit’, ‘glutMainLoop’ … and so on. Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

U have to use library files.
gcc file.c -lgl32 -lglut32 -lopengl32
(remove 32 if not using win)

Thank you so much! This is going to save me so much trouble! I can now do my assignments from my home computer.

You see, I was using a Makefile that was written for Unix … so it was simply missing the “32”'s for running on Windows.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks again,
Michelle