.NET with OpenGL... Is it worth it?

Hi all,

I was wondering is it worth it to learn .NET to program with OpenGL? If you could compare it to other languages like C++ or VB that would be great.

My main focus is speed, not how hard it is to code. I would like to know, do I get about the same FPS as c++?

Thanks for any input
zix

Hello, i am writting an OpenGL program using C++ .NET, in a mixed app (managed and no-managed code), and, at the moment, i don’t see much diference in the FPS, but a real thing is that .NET slows down the app a bit.
I am using Windows Forms, and two opengl contexts (i am rendering to two Panels (512x512 and 256x256)), with an AMD 1Ghz and 3dLabs vp560 card i get near 600 fps ‘simultaneoulsy’ in the two contexts (both rendering at the form idle time). I doesn’t throwing a lot of vertices, only about 1400.

[This message has been edited by Ffelagund (edited 01-13-2004).]

I had to learn C#/OpenGl for a recent client and it was pretty painless.

The biggest hassle was dealing with managed data structures vs. OGL’s pointers, which gets very annoying with all the ‘fixed’ blocks. I wound up having to use C# like C++ in many cases, making unmanaged structures with a custom memory allocator.

So the net effect is that the OGL portions of the code are about as fast as C++, but gain nothing from C#'s extra management.

The thing I did not try was initializing extensions. Importing from DLLs is easy, but I didn’t see an easy way to set up function pointers (it could be easy – I just didn’t have time to explore it).

Avi

I’m moving this thread to the windows-specific forum…

I think you should really just forget about speed and use whatever lets you be the most productive. I really don’t expect the choice of language to make much of a difference unless you plan to do really CPU-intensive (i.e. non-graphics) stuff.

– Tom

Thanks for the advice

As to you moderator, Srry, I wasn’t sure which to put it in… windows specific or advanced, so I put it in advanced.

I’m a total noob when it comes to .Net, so are there different types of .Net, like vb.net and c++.net, or just one? If it is multiples, which one would you recommend? (I haven’t bought anything yet, just looking to use it for a hobby; I’ve used opengl before with VB)

Thanks again
zix

[This message has been edited by zix99 (edited 01-13-2004).]

.NET isn’t a language. .NET is a framework, a garbage collector, a security system, a new data access, and a lot of languages (C++ .NET, C# (windows and linux version (named ‘mono’), VB .NET, Gtk#, Cobol#, and so on. All of these languages are managed (garbage collector), but some of them (like C++ managed, allows a mixted mode, you can mix in the same app the standard C++ and the C++ .NET, the only diference (a grosso modo) id that the managed objects are collected by the garbage collector, and you mush explicity delete no-managed objects (as C++ standard). This allows the reusability of all your C++ libraries in the .NET platform

[This message has been edited by Ffelagund (edited 01-14-2004).]

Thanks for the explanation on .net, i knew it was a framework, just didn’t know much else.

Thanks you all again

Ffelagund, could you please provide an example of how u set up Opengl using Windows Forms and MC++. I’m used to the MFC way, and am just embracing .NET, which I must admit has been a cool experience.

Thanx

Thanks, figured it out, it was surprisingly easy in the end . Thanks

Originally posted by Takura:
Thanks, figured it out, it was surprisingly easy in the end . Thanks
Takura
Could you please post a sample program? I’m trying to do the same thing (.net windows forms and opengl).
Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.