XP Home and XP Pro

Hope someone takes the time to read and help to a brain restore.

I was doing some heavy opengl app development using Delphi on an xp home edition machine up till 2002, then stopped cold. Recently, a new job requires me to spend a lot of nights in hotel rooms, so I decided to play around with and improve (you know how it is), some of my old projects. I’m now on an xp pro laptop. Delphi installed ok, and I’ve recompiled four old projects. 3 run perfectly fine, but the 4th one runs slower than whatever, and hangs the machine on exit. it’s the only project involving more than 1 thread (2). opengl is running in 1 thread. Is there a big difference between xp home and xp pro in this area that anyone knows about, and do you think this could be the source of the performance problem?

thanks!

I think the problem is more likely to come from the graphic card and its drivers.

What were they on the xp home machine and on the xp pro laptop ?
Maybe a driver update would be needed.

Thanks for the reply. I’m not at home, so can’t check the desktop, but as I recall it was one of the latest geForce cards with a bunch of memory on it. This laptop that I’m using says it has an Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME graphics controller with 64meg. It has opengl support and I downloaded the latest driver for it yesterday, but that did not fix the problem. The application itself was one of the more complicated ones - lots of pick-and-drop stuff, opengl in a separate thread, and so on.

http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-004662.htm
http://www.delphi3d.net/hardware/viewreport.php?report=1556
Opengl 1.3 and no TnL wow …
But this should not prevent it from working … Anyway I did not heard very good things about those Intel integrated video cards and their drivers.

That bad, huh? what’s TnL? Anyway, thanks for the info. I’ll just take it one step at a time for now and work with the projects that run fine till I re-learn all that stuff.

i had an intel chip in my laptop and it had frequent crashes with most retail games, and very slow

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.