Volume Render

I’m right now approccing OpenGL and I do not understand how can I render an image stack. I have find a lot of example that show how to build a cube and attach an image to every face of the cube, but I haven’t found any example on how to put different slice inside the cube and then render the cube as a volume.
Can anybody help me ?

What you need is a 3D texture. It works like a standart 2D texture, but, for example you must define 3 texture coordinates for each vertex - (x, y, z) or (s, t, r) as you like.
3D textures can be usefull, for example, in medicine, to view the internal structure of a body without actually slicing it.
The usage depends on what do you need exactly. What kind of application are you writing?

Hi,

there are a variety of differing approaches to volume rendering on the gpu, it depends on your target hardware. if you want it to work on most modern hardware then a bunch of slices being textured by volume information from a three dimentional texture is the best approach. Several papers have been written on the subject if you wish to study each different method.

here is a good start: there are some references in this paper to chase around. also looking up the institution that did this paper is a good idea

<a href=“http://www.vis.uni-stuttgart.de/eng/research/pub/pub2001/GH2001.pdf” target=“_blank”>
Pre-integrated volume rendering paper</a>

there is also an open source project on sourceforge that concentrates on some recent volume rendering algoritms on modern gpus

OpenQVIS

hope this can be of some help

There is some explainations on OpenGL RedBook, isn’t it ?

Originally posted by forth:
What you need is a 3D texture. It works like a standart 2D texture, but, for example you must define 3 texture coordinates for each vertex - (x, y, z) or (s, t, r) as you like.
3D textures can be usefull, for example, in medicine, to view the internal structure of a body without actually slicing it.
The usage depends on what do you need exactly. What kind of application are you writing?

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I would like to write an application very similat to one that you can use to view MR o CT images. I would like also to add funciont to display the max or min projection or a blend projection. I don’t need a sofisticated software but just a viewer where I can load the image stack render it in real time during rotation and so on

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.