Shadow Maps & Phong support and others

I like OpenGL as it gives me a more professional feeling that, let’s say, DirectX or others…

The only problem it has : It dosen’t come up with new improoved version as fast as it should.

Ok, now about new developements :

OpenGL does not provide any built in support for ShadowMaps or RayTraced shadows. I think that even a compromise solution ( like the one provided by DirectX ) would do. Of course, as i see OpenGL as the most powerful 3D Environenment it should include all the modern rendering techniques such as :

Phong Light Model(which is not that recent but there is no built in implementation),

Other Lighting Models that INCLUDE metal rendering, bump mapping, WATER and combustion effects.

The latest PhotonMapping concept ( which even if for the moment takes ALOT of time, it could be included )

I am aware that many of the things that i’ve been mentioning are already implemented ( for example the GLScene components & demos ) but I still think that OpenGL’s core should include all of that and more.

Let’s say that I want to be able to do all & more that I can do with DirectX and if possible FASTER ( in terms of devellopening time)

I’m anxious to see the new release of OpenGL!

Good coding, Merry Christmas and A Happy OpenGL Year!

Claudiu

There’s extensions for shadow maps already. And advanced things like shadow maps is not common enough to be moved into the core. Remember, there’s a difference between the spec for OpenGL and Direct3D. OpenGL list of features is a requirement, but Direct3D’s is not. If next release of OpenGL includes shadow maps, everyone that want to support that version has to support shadow maps. If features gets added too fast, the more “lower end” vendors might not want to upgrade their implementations.

Raytracing belongs to a scene graph API. OpenGL is an immediate more API.

If I get this correctly, OpenGL already used the phong lighting model. Did you perhaps meant to say phong shading? OpenGL uses phong lighing model, but gouraud shading.

Originally posted by Bob:

If I get this correctly, OpenGL already used the phong lighting model. Did you perhaps meant to say phong shading? OpenGL uses phong lighing model, but gouraud shading.

I don’t have the red book here, but I think OpenGL uses blinn lighting model. (anyway the diffuse term is the same for blinn and phong)

-Lev

I’m sorry that I wasn’t all that clear…
That can be because I don’t yet understand all aspects of OpenGL …

I’ve seen some new features for the 2nd version of OpenGL ( that is 2.0 ). They’re OK but I just want to ask if the rate of devellopement for OpenGL is not too low.

Is there a list with the long&short term goals for OpenGL?

I ask all these silly questions as I am using only OpenGL & Delphi and I have found but 1 book connecting Delphi & OpenGL
I ask you if it is a good ideea to buy it, if its worthy?

I’m not the best to give advices concerning future releases of OpenGL but sometimes fresh ideeas can help,

Claudiu

Well, don’t take this wrong now, but… if you are new to OpenGL, and not yet fully understand all of it, isn’t it a bit too early to ask for improvements? I don’t think OpenGL is improving too slowly. Just think about what will happen if OpenGL where to support everything that you could ever dream about. That would force every single vendor that would want to support OpenGL, to implement all those features. And I don’t think everyone wants to do that. What would happen is that noone (or a few, but certainly not all) would want to upgrade their current implementation. What you end up with is a specification of a dream API that noone supports.

Direct3D, as I understand it, does not require one to implement all features. Thats why you have the caps stuff, to ask D3D what it CAN do.

>>>Direct3D, as I understand it, does not require one to implement all features. Thats why you have the caps stuff, to ask D3D what it CAN do.
<<<

A bunch of people have asked for this enough times here and there.

Maybe something like this should finally be implemented in GL too. Texture residency is somewhat a CAPS function (when texture is binded of course).

Yes I know, mccraig, if you are reading this, its too complicated, you dont think its a good idea, D3D isnt perfect, …

On the up side, it certainly would calm down some coders!

V-man