Topology / Geometry processor

It seems that the next DirectX version will have some sort of topology/geometry processing. In fact, I think the GPU in the XBox360 has something of the sort… (http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/directxnext/index.php?p=4#top)

So the question is: is the ARB already thinking of something of the sort, or will we have to (once again) wait a few years for an OpenGL implementation?

(sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this)

And while we’re at it, where are the notes from the ARB meetings?! At least we could see if the subject is under discussion…

The problem is that noone in here knows exactly what a topology processor should look like (myself included :wink: ). At least I got that impression during the last thread about this topic.

And your link doesn’t really contain much information either, at least nothing that would clear the situation up a bit :wink: . Except perhaps the “late in the pipeline” bit, but I won’t repeat the discussion here, see the previous thread in this forum.

Originally posted by Overmind:
The problem is that noone in here knows exactly what a topology processor should look like (myself included :wink: ). At least I got that impression during the last thread about this topic.
Exacly, noone really knows what it is. But everyone knows it is comming. And what thread are you talking about? (I couldn’t find one related to this subject…)
Like I said, if the ARB meeting notes where available, I probably wouldn’t have made this post.

Originally posted by Overmind:

And your link doesn’t really contain much information either, at least nothing that would clear the situation up a bit :wink: . Except perhaps the “late in the pipeline” bit, but I won’t repeat the discussion here, see the previous thread in this forum.

The link is just an example of what I was refering to because, like I said early, noone really knows much about it…

I know this thread is not really a “Suggestion for the next release of OpenGL”, but was the only place I could think of for trying to get some bit of information…

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/cgi_directory/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000512

The discussion was lengthy.

It’s not even clear when this feature is going into GPUs. ATI just finished their R520. There was some articles that talk about the effort they put in.
NV released their 7800 which I guess is a tune up 6800. Perhaps in 1 year?