New Tiger features

It’s online :

AGL framework changes

Enumerants for floating point pixel format, exactly what I was looking for :wink:

OpenGL framework changes

kCGLRPSampleModes is rather interesting to get the list of multisampling modes.

Also it is possible to differenciate ‘multisampling’ and ‘supersampling’.

I will update OpenGL Extensions Viewer in order to get thoses new ‘caps’.

For new extensions , just GL_ARB_texture_rectangle was added in almost all renderers.

GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is available in the Apple Software Renderer.

wow…but why is the shading_language in software render instead of a simple extensiion? :confused:

I guess Apple didn’t had time to complete the GLSL support for hardware acceleration, or at least, a partial implementation, as it is now on PC (ATI/nVidia).

GL_ARB_draw_buffers and GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two are not available as well (yet)

have you tried to use shadinglanguage_100 with apple software render already?

tiger :rolleyes: :smiley:

I’ve modified OpenGL Extensions Viewer in order to enable it because the test failed in the current version, because the rendering test was using ARB_vertex_buffer_object which is not available in Software Renderer.

It was very slow (0.1 fps) , but apparently seemed to work - The OpenGL 1.1 test in software renderer was already very slow.

Also NSImage, which is used in my test for loading textures, have silently changed from RGBA to ABGR in Tiger, so the textures in the rendering test have wrong colors.

NSBitmapImageRep only behaves differently for applications built under Tiger.

It’s never provided any guarantees as to how many bits per pixel, or whatever, a given image will be loaded in.

It’s much easier to use QuickTime directly, or ImageIO if you’re OK with Tiger-only code. Those do guarantee what pixel format they write to, and will therefore not break in the future.

The thing is now it’s producing a ARGB format (and not ABGR, as I said in previous post, which is the reversed version of RGBA). There reason i’ve heard is it was better for 3D acceleration.

But, there is no GL_ARGB pixel format (GL_ABGR at best) …

I’m using NSBitmapImageRep for loading the bitmap, and using bitmapData method to access to the raw data.

I’m trying to figure out how to fix the problem, ie, force to load to an OpenGL compatible format by using the API method before doing the conversion ‘by the hand’

I’m loading the bitmap like this: (imagePath is the location of a BMP file inside the bundle).

imageData = [NSData dataWithContentsOfFile:imagePath];
     imageRep = [NSBitmapImageRep imageRepWithData:imageData];

BGRA, UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV

that’s ARGB.

Take a look here – the QuickTime code is faster and safer than using NSBitmapImageRep: http://onesadcookie.com/svn/repos/QTValuePak/

Ah yes, that made the trick.
I need to put an OS detection in order to use that format

Keith, u rule.

I wasted hours on this latest ‘Road Apple’ today… I should’ve just checked in here first.

Cheers,
/p2

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.