XFree 4.0.1
Mandrake 7.2
Mesa 3.3
Videocard:Harddrake says: Model: Geforce DDR (generic) NV11

I have installed:

Nvidia kernel tar driver
GLX tar for Nvidia

I do the following:

Remove liGL.so, libGLcore, etc. as says NVidia faq.
Link Mesa libs to libGL.so libs
Modify and save XF86Config-4 file:
-Load “glx”
-“nv” -> “nvidia”

THE PROBLEM IS:

As soon as I start an OpenGL application (like Performer), the screen turns black, while PC is still working.

When I do /sbin Insmod NVdriver and then /sbin lsmod, appears this text:
Module Size Used by
NVdriver 527136 0 (unused)

Agpgart does not appear

When I look in /var/log XFree86.0.log does not exist.

What can I do? Thanks

Hi. first, a NV11 isn’t geforce 2, i think. So, do not use nvdriver, but just nv instead. Then, if it still doesn’t work, go download newest drivers from nvidia, i did it with 0.9.5 with a G2MX, it works perfectly, with mdk7.1 and x4.0.1…
Allright, drivers aren’t gpl, but we don’t have choice…:<
Bye

Sorry, exactly the chip is Geforce 2 MX with an Asus VT7100 card. I wrote “nv” instead “nvidia”, but the problem persists. I used the 0.9.5 driver.
That I don’t know is why I haven’t got a “/var/log/XFree86.0.log” file.
Is that the reason because it doesn’t work well? Thanks.

Sorry, I thought it was a gforce256. Ok, if it is a 2MX, you must use nvidia driver, and never nv ( x starts but crashes ).
But about your file, I don’t know, i never saw it before.
Just one thing more : on www.linuxnewbie.???, they posted an howto about geforce, xf4 and mdk7.x… this article was very helpful for me to have the card working…
bye, and good luck.

I have got a Geforce 2MX running on Mandrake 7.2, it is fine with nv11 driver when running OpenGL application. But it is much slow than running on NT4.

I downloaded the glut3.7 and re-compile it, I found some applications are realy slow, e.g., “newwave”, “paticle”…

I wonder if anyone running those applications smoothly.

I have got a Geforce 2MX running on Mandrake 7.2, it is fine with nv11 driver when running OpenGL application. But it is much slow than running on NT4.

I downloaded the glut3.7 and re-compile it, I found some applications are realy slow, e.g., “newwave”, “paticle”…

I wonder if anyone running those applications smoothly.

2 things I’ve done last week and everything worked fine:

Recompile your kernel with the agpgart in char devices (I i’m not mistaken).

Go to www.linuxdoc.org and search for the Nvidia OpenGL Configuration mini Howto.

I’ve got everything working like a charm :wink:

RedHat 6.2 / X 4.0.2 / Kernel 2.2.16 / GeForce2 MX/32

A small note: To compile some nvidia stuff for their drivers, I had to delete 2 lines that would make the compilation fail. Theses lines where in a select/case statement and concerned some other architecture than mine :wink:

I installed Mandrake 7.2 on 2 machines with Nvidia cards (a TNT2 and a Geforce 2 MX).
Mandrake 7.2 DID NOT INSTALL Xfree 4 but Xfree 3.3 instead…(with utah-glx driver).

If you don’t have ‘/var/log/XFree86.0.log’ it may be because you don’t use Xfree 4.
‘xdpyinfo’ shows the Xfree version.
Look for :
vendor release number: 4001

After installing Xfree 4.0.1 by hand and folowing the nvidia recomendations every thing worked great…

(I recently update my kernel so that Nvidia driver use AGP. The speed is exactly the same for application using not more than 32M of texture (most applications).)

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.