OpenGL-Console

Hi, i have a question to ask about OpenGL. A pretty newbie’s question. Is there any way to run an OpenGL based game on a console? (Pretty much something like Quake2). Until now i have found info on how to do it only on X. Can you post any sites related to this? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by <crashed>:
Hi, i have a question to ask about OpenGL. A pretty newbie’s question. Is there any way to run an OpenGL based game on a console? (Pretty much something like Quake2). Until now i have found info on how to do it only on X. Can you post any sites related to this? Thanks in advance.
Sorry! not how to run it, but how to write it!!!

OpenGL in X is the much better supported platform. Accelerated drivers (open source, and binary) are available for X.

If you’re worring about performance, I would stay with X, as you won’t get it with the console/fb.

If there is some other requirment (like an insane boss that can not be convinced that X can be fast because he can’t get over his memory of trying to get X working on a 386 with 640K of memory) then you have some work to do. You will only be able to get the open source drivers working, and to do it you will have to download the the source and do lots of mucking around. Go to www.mesa3d.org, and poke around. There may be some cvs builds that have acceleration for certian cards without X. Most likely you will need to write a few wrappers and do lots of debugging and development… but with enough effort you will get it working.

If you are not concerned with performance, but just have a strange desire to get OpenGL working on the console/fb, I do believe that an unaccelerated version of Mesa will do just that, but it will be very very slow.

Good luck!

Originally posted by <crashed>:
Is there any way to run an OpenGL based game on a console? (Pretty much something like Quake2). Until now i have found info on how to do it only on X.
If I understands it correctly, you want to run hw-accelerated GL in a console, i.e. without having X running.

That’s not possible.
The way GLX is defined, it is a X extension. If X is not running then GL is not there. Period.
So, no GL acceleration outside X.

I don’t know how to have graphical mode in a full console (init != 5). I am also not aware about your Quake2 port you’re meaning. Could you be a bit more specific?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.