Getting Started With OpenGL on Linux

I’m trying to teach myself OpenGL(With the Help of Linux Game Programming) and I need to know what implemation I should download.
Can anyone help. Also I have Linux-Mandrake 7.0 and it came with libGL.so and trying to run Quake 3 Arena with that is impossible and so I used libMesaVoodoo.so(I have a Voodoo 3) but I installed XFree86 4.0.2 over 3.3.6 and it seems to cause trouble(It goes fullscreen and then I get a weird white&black pattern and if I wait long enough and switch ttys the system freezes)

My advice would be to upgrade to 7.2 at least, or 8.0.

You will most likely have less trouble.

I already payed for 7.0. I’m not paying for another version unless it has MUST-HAVE features. I don’t have much money to spend.
I can’t POSSIBLY download a new version.
The size would be over 800MB and I download at 1.5k/sec! That would take many months or even a year(Downloading 2 hours a day)!

You can’t afford $5?
http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010653?YgCU9Xcy;;92

Make sure you launch X11 in 16bits mode.
Voodoo won’t accelerate 3d in other bpp.

launch glinfo and other Mesa example to check if your card is used.

Check that you have the module glx/dri launched in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Problem in q3a- maybe it not a OpenGL - see reed.me,install etc…(I membe about mouse trobl’s, fo sample)
All other problem i have to. (on VooDoo3/2000/8Mb+Athlon/700+MBAsusK7M/AMD751+ Mandrake RE Spring2001(it’s nearly Mandrake8.0)/Xfree4.02)
If you find reason, please, say me.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.