My first REAL OpenGL app. Plz take a look

Hi everyone!
My first message .

Recently I started to learn OpenGL.
And here’s a little result:
I wrote it yesterday and now I’m kinda proud of this program . It’s my first more or less seriously written OpenGL app.
I decided to show it here. May be some of you can comment on my program?

Here’s the link http://www.gamedev.ru/download/?id=468
On that page you’ll find a link called pr.tar.bz2 – that’s it.

How to use it:
To launch my app you’ll need OpenGL and SDL libraries.
I’ve included compiled binary in my archive, but you may build it from scratch by issuing “make clean; make” on command line.

After execution my program recognizes the following keys:
<space> – enable/disable scene rotation
<Tab> – scatter/gather particles (this is my favorite )
F – toggle fullscreen

Note. At the moment my app can’t adjust its speed by taking in account speed of your system. I made a dirty trick: you can change the speed by passing a number to my app as a command line parameter
(for ex.: ./cursor 1000). Greater this number – slower is the program, lower this number – faster the program. By default program assumes the speed of 1000. This renders quite well on my P4 2.6, 64MB Nvidia Geforce4 MX440SE system. If you havent any HW accel, try setting the speed to 200-500, or if you have a much better video hardware than me, try 2000-5000.

O-o-oh, that took a long to write this message .
Hope to hear your feedback!

PS. Really sorry for my terrible English!

[This message has been edited by gentooist (edited 02-02-2004).]

[This message has been edited by gentooist (edited 02-03-2004).]

I couldn’t decompress the rar file. You should use a tar.gz or a zip.

Well there was actually no binary in there but luckily I did have the sdl development libs etc. installed.
I must say I was impressed, this is not your typical newbie app(unless you’re not a newbie in programming, just opengl). Keep it up!

2PK:
Sorry, but my server had troubles with that formats for some reason .
I uploaded my file (in *.tar.bz2 format) to another site and all seems to work . At this time there’s a binary in my archive.
Here it is: http://www.gamedev.ru/download/?id=468
On that page you’ll find a link called pr.tar.bz2 – that’s it .
Sorry again, because this site is in Russian (my native language).

2zen:
Thanks for reviewing!!! Yes, you’re right, I’m not a newbie in C++ (I have about 5 years of experience in that field ), but I’m quite a newbie with OpenGL . I just have read a little from RedBook, a little from NeHe tutorials, a little from gamedev.net… etc… .

So you like it?
That sounds great!
Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.