myOS - Miniature, Linux based OpenGL development system without X

hi,

*** project

myOS - Miniature, Linux based OpenGL development system without X
It is bare bones Linux system, stripped down of everything, but core necessary files to compile and run OpenGL/C code. It has simplified directory structure and cleaned up internal cross referencing.

There is complete OpenGL Red Book together with 45 examples converted to use Scitech’s drivers. Examples are organized to follow chapters and are ready to compile and run, they look very much like their GLUT version in Red Book. This little collection is really all one needs to learn OpenGL. In fact the whole system being very bare bones and really simple can be used as learning tool to teach Linux basics and C/OpenGL programming…

http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html

there are more OpenGL related downloads on that page

*** questions

1.)
can you help me figure out,
how come no one uses Scitech to do “Linux without X” even tho they are clean, working solution?

2.)
i could not figure out ‘Mesa minixgl’, dont even know what exactly and where is the source code for it, i tried GGI, directFB and looked into other “without X” projects, but they so much trouble to compile, have dependencies that i want to get rid of, hard to isolate, clean or are simply too big. since all the ‘Linux without X’ drivers are based on Mesa anyway, i assume minixgl might be most simplistic and smallest, therefore best solution for me, so:

is minixgl active?
can someone point out if there is nice simple link that will download all necessary source of minixgl in ONE file?

cheers,
zelko

I have never heard of myOS.

1. And never heard about Scitech drivers.

2. As for you I did not find out anything about minixgl, unfortunately.

But I would like to know more about this stuff too.

hm…linux with software-implementation of opengl? no good for me. i like my stuff hardware accelerated.

“…can be used as learning tool to teach Linux basics and C/OpenGL programming…”

how can a minimized system teach me how to use the not-minimized system? why should i install a minimized system at all when i can have a complete system for the same price (free)? why should i or anybody else want to use a terminal-based system when i can have 20 virtual desktops in kde?

>“hm…linux with software-implementation of opengl?..”

thats not correct description, in case you ask the question

> "how can a minimized system teach me how to use the not-minimized system? "

i said:
“…to teach Linux basics and C/OpenGL programming…”

to learn complexity of something by learning 1st building blocks, basic desing and functionality - is that not, in fact, the way how you learned all you know?

whats the ‘not-minimized system’ you talking about, anyway?

>"why should i install a minimized system at all when i can have a complete system for the same price (free)? why should i or anybody else want to use a terminal-based system when i can have 20 virtual desktops in kde? "

thats like - “why would i want a motorbike if i have a car?”
plenty reasons, but if you ask that question motorbike probably isnt for you anyway

the “best” reason, i think, is this - “OpenGL programs compiled in myOS will run on any Linux with or without X and without need to setup, configure or download anything”

you dont have to “install” it, because there is nothing to set-up, it runs completly from RAM (ROM if you want), and everything works “out of the box”, it boots from my USB stick in 3 sec.

if thats not reason enough for you, try these:

• It’s about an idea - Linux can be simple, the whole development environment can be simple and free of additional configuration, installation or any other kind of hardware or software setup.

• Development system for your next game on Linux that actually works without need for specific distro, special drivers or editing scripts. Game could ship on a Live CD or Live USB stick, even together with the OS, not only for PCs, but other processor architectures also.

• Embedded Linux, since without development components it fits on a single floppy (1.44Mb), it could be used in mobile phones, personal digital assistants, media players, public computers, ATMs and other systems or terminals that need to run safely without ‘Hard Drive’ or entirely from ROM chip.

• Base to build graphical windowing system on top of OpenGL.

• Personal mini-Linux on USB key-chain, rescue Linux, Secure information storage/processing mini-system…

• Simple, handy tool to teach, learn, use or just demonstrate C/OpenGL & Linux capabilities…

How Do You Eat Yours?

myOS - Linux based OpenGL development system without X
http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html

i thought i post my questions to get back an answer, instead i got questions?

so, again…

1.) can you help me figure out,
how come no one uses Scitech to do “Linux without X” even tho they are clean, working solution?

2.)is minixgl active?
can someone point out if there is nice simple link that will download all necessary source of minixgl in ONE file?

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.