GLX problem

After compiling a program I get a message like this: GLUT: Fatal Error in (name_of_the_program): OpenGL GLX extension not supported by display: :0.0. After running glxinfo I get somoething like this: Xlib: extension “GLX” missing on display “:0.0”. I have OSMesa, GL, GLU, glut libraries. Are there GLX libraries ? I tried to solve this problem by installing new nVidia drivers, but situation didn’t change. There is another problem: my programms don’t want to get compiled anymore after “fixing” problem number 1. Now when compiling a program I get things like that: /usr/local/lib/libglut.so: undefined reference to `glXBindChannelToWindowSGIX’. How to deal whit this GLX ? I have XFree86 verion 4.2.0.

The error message about GLX says that the driver was not installed correct. There are two files you should download from NVidia one of them called GLX. If you still can not run glxinfo did you missed something when installing the drivers. You should have documentation in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/

Everything you need is in the NVidia documentation but here is a little list to check:

• is your download the right for your kernel?
  • if you downloaded the source version must the kernel sources&headers be installed
  • did you replace Driver “nv” with Driver “nvidia” in your XF86Config-4 file?
  • do the XF86Config-4 file have a Load “glx” ?
  • the XF86Config-4 file should not have Load “dri” or Load “GLcore”

The new glut problem is because your glut library was built using Mesa. NVidia does not support all extensions that Mesa has. You can use glut from older Mesa versions than 4.0. I also thinks that this problem is fixed in newer distributions like RH 7.3 that has a seperate glut rpm that can be used with NVidia. Perhaps do you want to fix this first so no files from NVidia is overwritten.

It seems to be a lot but if will not take many minutes to get it right.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.