How to install OpenGL on Linux

Please give me the procedure.
If i run the Makefile from the downloaded
Mesa . i am getting permission denied…

You have to be su’ed into root. Type su in console then roots password. Then type make install

What distro are you using?You mustn’t use the Mesa code(from www.mesa3d.org that is) unless you want software rendering.Just get the xlibs development package for your distro.And do a search,as you can imagine this gets asked about once a week in this forum .

Originally posted by nukem:
You have to be su’ed into root. Type su in console then roots password. Then type make install

yah! i typed make install after ‘su’ and entering root password.It said no rule to target install .After that i typed Makefile but it is saying bad command…
what to do…how to install…

Look in the readme, it should tell you how to install there.

I’m new to linux and opengl, but shouldn’t you first run “make”, then “make install”? Also some programs may require a “./configure” before “make”.

moucard,

Yes, you’re correct. When dealing with source code archives, that’s what you do. A few notes:

1. I usually back up the compressed archive (the .tar.bz2 or .tar.gz or whatever file) in my ~\bkup directory but then unpack it into my ~\src directory.

2. You run ./configure, make, and possibly make test as yourself, but then make install as root (since you usually don’t have write privileges to /usr/local, and that’s where you usually want stuff installed – and it’s also usually the default).

2.a. Also, you can pass arguments to configure if you like. See ./configure --help for details. For example, if you want the stuff later installed into locations like ~/bin, ~/lib, etc.

1. I think that some software bundles vary from this standard series of commands – like having you just type make with that doing the configure for you. Yes, that’s really weird and abnormal, so read the README and INSTALL files that come with a source archive just to be sure.

2. Finally, note that GNU/Linux distributions usually come with package management software (rpm, apt, etc.) so most folks never even install from source as described above, but rather, they go hunting for .rpm files (or debian packages) and use the package-management commands for installing instead. These packages can contain binaries or source; whichever you choose to download.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.