Newest NVidia Drivers

Question: Has anyone got the newest drivers to work? I spent the better part of the day yesterday trying to get them to run until I finally switched back over to the 0.9-6 version. The driver load, the card is found then the ever-so-familar message “Caught Signal 11. Server Aborting” . The failure is something to the extent of the driver not being able to allocate the device. Then 3 or 4 unresolved symbols. I’ve got 3 other machines I was to try the driver/GLX on but I don’t want to run into the same problems.

-=Nelson=-

Originally posted by Spoonman:
[b]Question: Has anyone got the newest drivers to work? I spent the better part of the day yesterday trying to get them to run until I finally switched back over to the 0.9-6 version. The driver load, the card is found then the ever-so-familar message “Caught Signal 11. Server Aborting” . The failure is something to the extent of the driver not being able to allocate the device. Then 3 or 4 unresolved symbols. I’ve got 3 other machines I was to try the driver/GLX on but I don’t want to run into the same problems.

-=Nelson=-[/b]

Yes they also work some machines.
I have mandrake 7.2 xfree 4.0.2 and new
nvidia drivers compiled to tar.

works fine

Originally posted by Spoonman:
[b]Question: Has anyone got the newest drivers to work? I spent the better part of the day yesterday trying to get them to run until I finally switched back over to the 0.9-6 version. The driver load, the card is found then the ever-so-familar message “Caught Signal 11. Server Aborting” . The failure is something to the extent of the driver not being able to allocate the device. Then 3 or 4 unresolved symbols. I’ve got 3 other machines I was to try the driver/GLX on but I don’t want to run into the same problems.

-=Nelson=-[/b]

Yes, I run the newest nVidia driver on Mandrake 8.0 B2, but I had to compile it myselves. (not RPM install) This required me to take away a few lines in the source of one kernel file and a couple of the driver files. Mainly comment away the "#include <linux/moduleversions.h> sections and run make. B.t.w. read the nVidia driver FAQ in case you have some special AGP hardware or something…

I’m running the newest Driver too on Redhat 6.2 with 2.2.18 Kernel and XFree 4.0.2 and I don’t had problems. Download the sourcecode and compile it by your own. To compile the driver you need the kernel sources.

nVidia drivers is known to segfault if installed in X/lib instead of usr/lib.

This is kind of funny. I didn’t want to take the newest drivers to another computer of mine because I was having problems getting the 0.9-6 kernel to work on it(another seg fault/core dump). Well, I finally did and the 0.9-7 gets farther then the 0.9-6(read: still doesn’t work, but closer). The computer that the 0.9-6 kernel worked on doesn’t like the 0.9-7. Both are running Redhat 6.2 with the 2.2.19pre7 or 2.4.0 kernel. Back to fiddling with it…

-=Nelson=-

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.