nvsdk

Can anyone give me a link to the nvsdk cvs, + some directions…

Also any pointers on getting started with the newest features (shaders programs etc) would helpful. I’ve done a lot with standard OpenGL, but am now ready to start playing with the advanced features.

OK, I managed to google it at, http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/1462/SUPP/AutoupdateGuide.htm

Now I can’t seem to ping cvs1.nvidia.com. Is it just some network issues, or is this site no-longer in use?

Jamie

Don’t have any problems here…

btw. this could be a bit useful: http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/projects/fx-nx-dx

It was my setup. My router was blocking that port…

OK, now that I have it, how do I get everything to build. I had tried this a while ago, and needed some work arounds. I expected it to be working out-of-the-box by now…

The thing that I had to do before was comment out a bunch of the extensions in gl.h. I tryied this, and I still get lots of errors. Any other things that need to be changed?

I noticed some files were being included, but they do not exist in the tree:
ie. #include <nv_math.h>

Any other hints are much aprecitated.

Jamie

Just incase anyone is interested. – Hello NVidia?

So far the Makefile for the nvparser seems to be broken, at least under RH 8.0.

I did a work around by doing the following hack:

doit:
bison -d -o ps1.0_parser.c -p ps10 ps1.0_grammar.y
mv -f _ps1.0_parser.c _ps1.0_parser.cpp
bison -d -o rc1.0_parser.c -p rc10 rc1.0_grammar.y
mv -f _rc1.0_parser.c _rc1.0_parser.cpp
bison -d -o ts1.0_parser.c -p ts10 ts1.0_grammar.y
mv -f ts1.0_parser.c ts1.0_parser.cpp
bison -d -o vs1.0_parser.c -p vs10 vs1.0_grammar.y
mv -f vs1.0_parser.c vs1.0_parser.cpp
flex -Prc10
-o_rc1.0_lexer.cpp rc1.0_tokens.l
flex -Pps10
-o_ps1.0_lexer.cpp ps1.0_tokens.l
flex -Pts10
-o_ts1.0_lexer.cpp ts1.0_tokens.l
flex -Pvs10
-o_vs1.0_lexer.cpp vs1.0_tokens.l
make compile

This gets the makefile to build the *.cpp files for the build.

After that is fixed the jpeg libs seem to break. Here’s the output from the broken (BROKEN) build

make[2]: Entering directory /usr/home/jamie/nvsdk/OpenGL/src/libs/nv_util' g++ -DUNIX -Wall -g -I../../../include/glh -I../../../include/shared -I../../../include/nv_util/ -I../../../include/ -I../../../include/unzip -c nv_jpeg.cpp In file included from /usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/localefwd.h:50, from /usr/include/c++/3.2/ios:48, from /usr/include/c++/3.2/ostream:45, from /usr/include/c++/3.2/iostream:45, from ../../../include/jpeg/jconfig.h:3, from ../../../include/jpeg/jpeglib.h:30, from nv_jpeg.cpp:17: /usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/functexcept.h:40: previous declaration ofvoid
std::__throw_bad_exception()’ with C++ linkage
/usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/functexcept.h:40: conflicts with new declaration with
C linkage
/usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/functexcept.h:44: previous declaration of void std::__throw_bad_alloc()' with C++ linkage /usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/functexcept.h:44: conflicts with new declaration with C linkage /usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/functexcept.h:48: previous declaration ofvoid
std::__throw_bad_cast()’ with C++ linkage
/usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/functexcept.h:48: conflicts with new declaration with
C linkage
/usr/include/c++/3.2/bits/functexcept.h:51: previous declaration of `void
std::__throw_bad_typeid()’ with C++ linkage

The first “doit” hack was in the file: ./nvsdk/OpenGL/src/toold/nvparser/Makefile

Here is what I have done to get nvsdk to behave:

Get the newest glext.h and glxext.h from:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/sdk.html

Get the newest gl.h and glx.h from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mesa3d - MesaLib.

Move the original ones from /usr/include/GL to a safe place.

Move the new ones to /usr/include/GL

Modify src/tools/nvparse/Makefile…
I just changed the (MAIN) libnvparse.a target to not depend on (OBJS).

Added a bunch of “#include <cctype>” to files in src/tools/nvparse.

Pacthed /usr/include/GL/glx.h to this:
301 #ifndef GLX_GLXEXT_LEGACY
302 #define GLX_GLXEXT_PROTOTYPES
303 #include <GL/glxext.h>
305 #else
This define seems to be necessary, but isn’t defined anywhere. Can someone with more knowledge of GLX_GLXEXT_PROTOTYPE give an explanation?

Patched /usr/include/GL/glut.h to not redefine APIENTRY. (Also located somewhere in nvsdk-includes, under glh/GL I think.)

Patched top of nvsdk/OpenGL/include/jpeg/jconfig.h to:
//#include <stdio.h>
//#include <stdlib.h>
//#include <iostream.h>
//#include <string.h>
//#include <stdarg.h>
//#include <math.h>
//#include <malloc.h>
//#include <string.h>
#ifdef _WIN32
This gets rid of your jpeg problem.

Patched nvsdk/OpenGL/src/libs/paramgl/paramgl.cpp to:
*** 130,140 ****
int i = (y - start_y) / separation;

//#ifndef MACOS
// m_current = &m_params[i];
//#else
m_current = (std::vector<ParamBase *>::const_iterator)&m_params.at(i);
//#endif
This non-MACOS way really stomped gcc (redhat8, gcc v3.2).

Then I changed the Makefile in demos/3rdparty_HufoFur to use the nv_math.h and nv_math.lib from the correct location.

I did another change to some code that referenced nv_algebra.h instead of nv_math.h, IIRC.

These changes allowed med to build most of the demos without any hiccups, except a few more changes of the same kind as for HufoFur.

Humm, I did also change alot of #include <blabla.h> to the proper #include <blabla> and added some missing std::, but I don’t really remember them all :slight_smile:

Hope this helps some.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Happy New year

Thanks for the reply. That did fix a bunch of things. I’m still working through some issues though.

After seeing the state of the SDK, it looks like this thing really is not supported. When the first Linux build came out, there were only a couple of things that needed to be fixed to get it to compile – that was OK because it had just come out. Now, much later, the whole thing seems to have fallen appart. I would have expected it to have gotten better…

Any NVidia people here?

I was working with the SDK, and have been putting off using the CG compiler until later. I was under the impression that they were both supported, and being developed. Now I’m wondering if the CG compiler is better supported one, and the SDK is being left by the wayside.

Should I be using the CG compiler instead?

Jamie

An up to date version of the SDK is available its just not “published” yet. To access it follow the steps found here: http://cvs1.nvidia.com/Common/media/html/AutoupdateGuide.htm but change step 8 and 9 to this:

1. Download or update the OpenGL SDK by typing the following commands (in this order):
    cvs co -kb SDK

2. Set your library path to the OpenGL lib directory
    LD_LIBARY_PATH=LD_LIBARY_PATH:~/nvsdk/SDK/LIBS/lib

Then to build everything follow these steps:

1. Go to SDK/LIBS/src and run ‘make’
  2. Go to SDK/DEMOS/OpenGL/src and run ‘make’

I plan on updating the docs soon with more details but this should work for now.

Also, you’ll need to have the Cg compiler installed (available in RPM or tarball format) for any of the Cg demos in the SDK to compile.

Cool, I’ll try this when I get home.

Jamie

Yes, nice. Except:

The link you specified (http:// cvs1.nvidia.com/Common/media/html/AutoupdateGuide.htm) doesn’t seem to work, so I assume this one is the same: http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/1462/SUPP/AutoupdateGuide.htm#linux.

Regarding step 8: Should it have been “cvs co -kb nvsdk/SDK”?

Whichever I try, I get:
ssh: connect to address 209.213.198.12 port 22: Connection timed out
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

Is there another server to try?

I am really looking forward to this updated SDK :slight_smile:

If you can’t access cvs1.nvidia.com then either your firewall is blocking you or ours is. If you have a firewall see if you can ping cvs1.nvidia.com.

If you don’t have a firewall, email me your IP and I’ll check to see if your IP is somehow getting blocked.

“Regarding step 8: Should it have been “cvs co -kb nvsdk/SDK”?”

no, that should just be this:
cvs co -kb SDK

Thanks for the update. I am still having problems though.

Everything seems to go OK until we get to an extensions section. Here’s the output of doing a make inside of SDK/LIB/src

cd /usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/
make -k
for dir in nv_math nv_manip unzip nv_util nvIO nvparse paramgl zlib png; do
(cd $dir && make);
done
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/nv_math' g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c nv_algebra.cpp g++ -shared nv_algebra.o -o ../../lib/libnvmath.so make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/nv_math’
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/nv_manip' g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c nv_manip.cpp g++ -L../../lib -lnvmath -shared nv_manip.o -o ../../lib/libnvmanip.so make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/nv_manip’
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/unzip' gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c infblock.c gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c infcodes.c gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c inffast.c gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c inflate.c gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c crc32.c gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c adler32.c gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c inftrees.c gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c infutil.c gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c unzip.c gcc -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c zutil.c gcc -shared infblock.o infcodes.o inffast.o inflate.o crc32.o adler32.o inftrees.o infutil.o unzip.o zutil.o -o ../../lib/libunzip.so make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/unzip’
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/nv_util' g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../DEMOS/OpenGL/inc -c nv_tga.cpp g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../DEMOS/OpenGL/inc -c nv_unzip.cpp g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../DEMOS/OpenGL/inc -c nv_ase.cpp g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../DEMOS/OpenGL/inc -c nv_util.cpp g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../DEMOS/OpenGL/inc -c nv_jpeg.cpp g++ -L../../lib -lunzip -shared -ljpeg nv_tga.o nv_unzip.o nv_ase.o nv_util.o nv_jpeg.o -o ../../lib/libnvutil.so make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/nv_util’
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/nvIO' g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c NVMeshMender.cpp g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c nvMeshPreprocessor.cpp g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c nvObjIO.cpp g++ -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -c nvObjReader.cpp ../../inc/nvIO/nvMeshIO.h:42: warning:const
charnvMeshAttribute::SMOOTHING_GROUP’ defined but not used
…/…/inc/nvIO/nvMeshIO.h:43: warning: const char*nvMeshAttribute::TEXCOORD_GROUP' defined but not used g++ -L../../lib -lnvmath -shared NVMeshMender.o nvMeshPreprocessor.o nvObjIO.o nvObjReader.o -o ../../lib/libnvio.so make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/nvIO’
make[1]: Entering directory /usr/home/jamie/SDK/LIBS/src/nvparse' g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../inc -c nvparse.cpp In file included from ../../../inc/glh/glh_extensions.h:49, from nvparse.cpp:19: ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:890: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:893: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:896: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:899: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:902: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:908: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:911: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:914: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:917: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:920: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:923: syntax error before;’ token
make[1]: *** [nvparse.o] Error 1
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c nvparse_errors.cpp
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c rc1.0_combiners.cpp
In file included from …/…/…/inc/glh/glh_extensions.h:49,
from rc1.0_combiners.cpp:1:
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:890: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:893: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:896: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:899: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:902: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:908: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:911: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:914: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:917: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:920: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:923: syntax error before ;' token rc1.0_combiners.cpp: In member functionvoid CombinersStruct::Invoke()’:
rc1.0_combiners.cpp:21: glCombinerParameterfvNV' undeclared (first use this function) rc1.0_combiners.cpp:21: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.) make[1]: *** [rc1.0_combiners.o] Error 1 g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../inc -c rc1.0_final.cpp In file included from ../../../inc/glh/glh_extensions.h:49, from rc1.0_final.cpp:1: ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:890: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:893: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:896: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:899: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:902: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:908: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:911: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:914: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:917: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:920: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:923: syntax error before;’ token
rc1.0_final.cpp: In member function void FinalCombinerStruct::Invoke()': rc1.0_final.cpp:114:glCombinerParameteriNV’ undeclared (first use this
function)
rc1.0_final.cpp:114: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each
function it appears in.)
rc1.0_final.cpp:122: glFinalCombinerInputNV' undeclared (first use this function) make[1]: *** [rc1.0_final.o] Error 1 g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../inc -c rc1.0_general.cpp In file included from ../../../inc/glh/glh_extensions.h:49, from rc1.0_general.cpp:1: ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:890: syntax error before;’ token
rc1.0_general.cpp: In member function void GeneralCombinersStruct::Validate(int, ConstColorStruct*)': rc1.0_general.cpp:30:glCombinerStageParameterfvNV’ undeclared (first use this
function)
rc1.0_general.cpp:30: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for
each function it appears in.)
rc1.0_general.cpp: In member function void GeneralCombinersStruct::Invoke()': rc1.0_general.cpp:46:glCombinerParameteriNV’ undeclared (first use this
function)
rc1.0_general.cpp: In member function void GeneralFunctionStruct::Invoke(int, int, _BiasScaleEnum)': rc1.0_general.cpp:222:glCombinerInputNV’ undeclared (first use this function)
rc1.0_general.cpp:254: glCombinerOutputNV' undeclared (first use this function) make[1]: *** [rc1.0_general.o] Error 1 g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../inc -c ts1.0_inst.cpp ts1.0_inst.cpp: In member functionvoid Inst::Invoke()’:
ts1.0_inst.cpp:67: GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB' undeclared (first use this function) ts1.0_inst.cpp:67: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.) make[1]: *** [ts1.0_inst.o] Error 1 g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I../../inc -I../../../inc -c ts1.0_inst_list.cpp In file included from ../../../inc/glh/glh_extensions.h:49, from ts1.0_inst_list.cpp:15: ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:890: syntax error before;’ token
make[1]: *** [ts1.0_inst_list.o] Error 1
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c _ts1.0_parser.cpp
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c _ts1.0_lexer.cpp
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c _rc1.0_lexer.cpp
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c _rc1.0_parser.cpp
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c avp1.0_impl.cpp
In file included from …/…/…/inc/glh/glh_extensions.h:49,
from avp1.0_impl.cpp:7:
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:890: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:893: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:896: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:899: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:902: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:908: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:911: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:914: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:917: syntax error before ;' token ../../../inc/glh/glh_genext.h:920: syntax error before;’ token
…/…/…/inc/glh/glh_genext.h:923: syntax error before ;' token avp1.0_impl.cpp: In functionbool avp10_init(char
)’:
avp1.0_impl.cpp:50: GL_VERTEX_PROGRAM_ARB' undeclared (first use this function) avp1.0_impl.cpp:50: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.) avp1.0_impl.cpp:50:GL_PROGRAM_BINDING_ARB’ undeclared (first use this
function)
avp1.0_impl.cpp:50: glGetProgramivARB' undeclared (first use this function) avp1.0_impl.cpp: In functionvoid <unnamed>::LoadProgram(unsigned int,
unsigned int, char*)’:
avp1.0_impl.cpp:82: glBindProgramARB' undeclared (first use this function) avp1.0_impl.cpp:88:GL_PROGRAM_FORMAT_ASCII_ARB’ undeclared (first use this
function)
avp1.0_impl.cpp:90: glProgramStringARB' undeclared (first use this function) avp1.0_impl.cpp:96:GL_PROGRAM_ERROR_POSITION_ARB’ undeclared (first use this
function)
make[1]: *** [avp1.0_impl.o] Error 1
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c _vs1.0_lexer.cpp
_vs1.0_lexer.cpp:3722: warning: `void* yy_flex_realloc(void*, unsigned int)’
defined but not used
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c _vs1.0_parser.cpp
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c _ps1.0_lexer.cpp
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c _ps1.0_parser.cpp
g++ -DYY_NO_UNPUT -Wall -g -DUNIX -I…/…/inc -I…/…/…/inc -c vs1.0_inst.cpp
vs1.0_inst.cpp:1: warning: ignoring #pragma warning
vs1.0_inst.cpp:8: warning: ignoring #pragma warning

and on…

I tried commenting out all of the EXT defines in my system headers. ie /usr/include/GL/gl.h, and /usr/include/GL/glext.h

Jamie

Can you email me the gl header you are using?

The errors above is because GLX_GLXEXT_PROTOTYPES isn’t defined. I have “solved” this by hacking my <GL/glx.h> to define this if GLX_GLXEXT_LEGACY isn’t defined:

[root@hodrh8 nvidia]# diff -cbw /root/down/opengl/Mesa-5.0/include/GL/glx.h /usr/include/GL/glx.h
*** /root/down/opengl/Mesa-5.0/include/GL/glx.h 2002-10-14 15:52:27.000000000 +0200
— /usr/include/GL/glx.h 2002-12-28 15:54:23.000000000 +0100

*** 299,305 ****

#ifndef GLX_GLXEXT_LEGACY
!
#include <GL/glxext.h>

#else
— 299,306 ----

#ifndef GLX_GLXEXT_LEGACY
! /* HACK by HoD */
! #define GLX_GLXEXT_PROTOTYPES
#include <GL/glxext.h>

#else

Remark that I got the newest glx.h (and gl.h) from the package MesaLib found at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mesa3d.

Is this the proper way to do it? I don’t think so, since hacking header files doesn’t seem to be a good idea. There should be an “official” correct version of the header file, as there is for glext.h and glxext.h, namely http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/sdk.html.

Hope this helps, and that someone who knows how to do this correctly wuold please explain it to me :slight_smile:

The new one seems to work now, with the same fixes that the old one needed. Comment out all of the ext arb nv etc. defines in gl.h and glx.h, I also had to install the fftw library for one of the demos to work. This is very cool. I guess that NVidia is supporting the SDK + linux

Thanks
Jamie

Originally posted by jra101:
[b]
9. Set your library path to the OpenGL lib directory
LD_LIBARY_PATH=LD_LIBARY_PATH:~/nvsdk/SDK/LIBS/lib

[/b]

Is it just me or should that be LD_LIBRARY_PATH?