GF4 Ti4600 problems

I just installed an Asus GF4 Ti4600 (V8460 Ultra) - 27.43 drivers, and I have several problems:

-in Win2K, when launching applications on debug mode, the debugger breaks into the NVopegl dlls and doesn’t step further. When running debug versions outside VC++6, they execute perfectly.

-in Win98, after copying the driver’s files and atempting to install them the system hangs up without completing the installation.

-when i run an application on 2 monitors (either half on the left and half on the right, or fullscreened on the main monitor) OpenGL renders through GDI Generic and doesn’t use any hardware acceleration

Has anybody faced similar problems? Any help on troubleshooting the above would be welcomed.

Hi

Dude nice card,

1. Your debug problem can be fixed with some nice nvidia drivers, I have a GF3 and I had the same problem, just go get the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com , Asus drivers do seem a little strange, the cards are quite good at least.

2. Are you using the 98 drivers.

3. I have no idea. Good luck though.

Hope that helps, 3DG.

I’ve just aquired the exact same card. I’ve also installed the very latest detonator drivers.

So far, all I’ve tested it with is the wolfman demo from nvidia - the visuals completely disappear after about 10 seconds, leaving just the music playing, and I have no option but to press the reset button on my case!
I’ll test it on another machine when I get chance, but so far I’m a little disappointed, to say the least.

Knackered,

Please let me know if you continue to have troubles with your new GeForce4 Ti.

Cass

Ok Cass, I’ll let you know if it happens on another machine - my home machine is pretty stable though (installed all sorts of cards on it with no troubles before), so this bug doesn’t make sense.

Since this thread is already talking about the wolfman demo and since Cass is hanging around…

On my Geforce3, wolfman has some lighting issues on his hands and face - it flickers to very bright, almost washed out color. Is the demo not supposed to work correctly with Geforce3? (28.32 drivers, win2k, athlon 1.3 Ghz).

Thanks,
Zeno

[This message has been edited by Zeno (edited 03-31-2002).]

Originally posted by Zeno:
On my Geforce3, wolfman has some lighting issues on his hands and face - it flickers to very bright, almost washed out color. Is the demo not supposed to work correctly with Geforce3? (28.32 drivers, win2k, athlon 1.3 Ghz).

I’m having the same issues in the Wolfman and Squid demo with my GeForce3 Ti 200, WinXP, P!!! 933 and 28.32 drivers.

May as well point out all the problems while we’re at it On my machine, the “Grace” demo’s bubble billboards lack a texture

– Zeno

…about the wolfman demo and since Cass is hanging around

I think he’s gone.

Hey, I’ll see if I can get Simon Green to
take a look at the issues you’re experiencing.

Product demos are done by a different group than developer demos.

Thanks -
Cass

I think Simon Green posted here a long time ago ( regarding the Luxo Jr demo, that he also worked on ).

Anyway, I get the same results as the other posters. Oh, the twister demo is pretty cool btw ( GF4mx demo ).

Cypher,

Not sure about your full screen problem, but when rendering one window on 2 different monitors I’m not supprised it drops to the gdi generic. I mean that second monitor could be using a card by 3dlabs or ati or someone else and obviously there would be problems. So the safest thing to do in this case is to drop down to a generic render and hope that the other card does the same thing, though none of this is defined by any spec I know of. It’s all just a hope and a prayer. I supposed nvidia could check to see if that 2nd monitor is controled by a compatible render but this probably isn’t a high priority optimization for them.

On the multiple monitors thing, be sure to use nView to select spanning. That way Windows thinks the display is just twice as wide (or tall, depending on your spanning mode) and you get full hardware acceleration on both displays.

If you use the Windows multimon control panel, the driver has to treat them as separate devices. With nView spanning, it really just behaves like one large device that spans multiple output screens.

Cass

I’m afraid all our recent demos (Wolfman, Squid, Grace, Tidepool) require a GeForce4. This should have been made clearer on the demos web page. Unfortunately we goofed and didn’t actually put the checks in for the NV_texture_shader3 or NV_point_sprite extensions, so they will run on GeForce3 class hardware but with some artifacts, as you’ve noticed.

The main reason we need NV_texture_shader3 is for the DOT_PRODUCT_TEXTURE_1D operation, which allows us to do bump mapping with specular in just 2 texture stages. This is cool because it lets us do bump mapping with shadows (color map, normal map, 1D specular map, shadow map) in a single pass.

-Simon.

Ahh, I see. Thanks Simon I didn’t realize there was a point sprite extension for the GF4. Very cool.

– Zeno

-3DG:
yes it was the driver. I solved 1&2 with the new nVidia drivers (28.32). Asus doesn’t seem to follow up: in their site they still have their 27.20 version, though in the accompanying cd they had v27.42. Maybe they should leave nVidia construct the card too

-Jamie…
It is ONE card that render to both monitors (GF4 supports two different displays).

-cass:
Thanks a lot for the advice. I am not sure on how i did the splitting. I will try it again with nView spanning… Hope it works because otherwise I will have to look on a different way of using both outputs. What I want to do is to produce a stereo output for 2 projectors; one monitor displays left eye, other monitor displays left - both on the same window which splits on two screens. Outputs go to the projectors and using polarization I produce stereo display. A ready way to do this is to use an external device to convert active to passive stereo, but it’s really expensive for my company’s customers (>10.000$) though GF4 Ultra costs. <1000$