Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: extensive pbuffer use == system hangs (ATI)

Junior Member Regular Contributor

extensive pbuffer use == system hangs (ATI)

Hi,

I have the problem that with extensive pbuffer and render_to_texture use my system hangs and I need to do a hw-reset (sometimes the VPU recovery can recovery the system).
    I check for OpenGL Error and lost pbuffer but no problems there and the pbuffers all get created without problems.
    Basically my pbuffer wrapper seem to be ok and simple examples work without problems. But with using several pbuffers (RGBA8 1024x1024 + two RGBA32 float 1024x1024) I get the system hangs always when rendering to the later pbuffers.
    I use wglShareLists for all pbuffers and use glsl shader for rendering. wglShareList and wglMakeCurrent return without errors.

Till now it seem that the crash only happen with rendering to the later created pbuffers (2nd float pbuffer).
    And depending on the pixel format of that 2nd pbuffer my system crashes with first few frames rendered to it, or only after I switch to taskmanager or other applications.

My first guess was that perhaps there was not enough graphic memory for the pbuffer or the buffer get lost during the application switch. But the pbuffer is created without errors and I check for lost pbuffer. And according ARB spec rendering to a lost pbuffer nevertheless should work without crashing.

I guess it's a strange driver bug but I'm not sure what exactly causes the crash... Has anyone else also such system crashes with using several pbuffers?
    Any ideas what can cause this crashes or how to find it out?

using: Radeon 9800 + catalyst 4.10

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Re: extensive pbuffer use == system hangs (ATI)

Is your application single-threaded or multi-threaded?

single-threaded

Intern Contributor

I have had similar problems to this (on a 9800 too). The only way I could get around it was to call glFinish at the end of every frame.

mhh, I already had a glFinish after my SwapBuffers. Putting it before doesn't change anything. As I render lots of things before SwapBuffer I also tried to put a glFinish in the render loop where the crash happens, but it still crashes.

Ok, after some testing and countless reboots it seem to be a problem related to pbuffer/glsl.

One combination of pbuffer and a specific glsl shader crashes my system, if I use the same shader in other pbuffers or other shaders in the same pbuffer it works without problems
    It seem somehow be related to vertex shader attributes, because if I modify the crashing shader and add another vertex attribute the shader don't crash anymore. Or I can disable all the vertex arrays with glDisableVertexAttribArrayARB and it doesn't crash.

So what can this mean? I'm totally out of ideas how to find and fix this bug. The strange thing is that till now this only happened with this special combination of specific pbuffer with specific glsl shader.

Are there any known problems with pbuffer/glsl on ati hw?
    Any ideas what can cause this crashes?

Intern Newbie

Originally posted by zeckensack:
    Are there any known bugs with respect to ATI/pbuffers/multithreading?

Super Moderator OpenGL Lord

valoh, can you give the details on what specific pbuffers parameters and glsl program are causing these crashes ?

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Originally posted by GKW:
    Are there any known bugs with respect to ATI/pbuffers/multithreading?
    None that I'm aware of. But there are a few gotchas with Windows GDI and user functions in multi-threaded applications. Worst case is an application hang.

Intern Newbie

None that I'm aware of. But there are a few gotchas with Windows GDI and user functions in multi-threaded applications. Worst case is an application hang.[/QB]
    Can you elaborate on these gotchas? I have a very simple pbuffer app that works just fine using nvidia but fails with ATI. wglCreatePbufferARB returns false with an error of 0 on ATI cards. All the function inputs are valid and the context is current only on the calling thread.