NVIDIA OpenGL SDK available...

Please see http://www.nvidia.com/Developer for all the recently posted SDK materials.

There are several individually packaged presentations, but the bulk of them are available in a big zip file under “OpenGL SDK Documentation”.

The “OpenGL SDK” has all the example code, and helper libraries for using pbuffers, texture shader, vertex programs, etc. Plenty of good stuff.

Thanks -
Cass

can anyone say
if the ‘opengl sdk’ contains the ‘opengl sdk documentation’ as well (they’re pretty big downloads for me )

zed, I am downloading both at the moment. Giving the fact that both of them are around 18M, I think the SDK does not contain the docs… I’ll say for sure later !

Regards.

Eric

Yumm, very nice to see a GL SDK :stuck_out_tongue:

nVIDIA ROCKS!!

When will us Linux types be able to share in the goodness?

this is nothing about the GL SDK, I am just curious. Where is Matt these days? I have not seen his new post for some time.

I’m getting an error in most of the demos., complaining about glh_genext.h!
What could be the problem ?

thanks,

Bruno

pbuffer.cpp
c:\program files
vidia corporation\opengl sdk\include\glh\glh_genext.h(307) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ‘;’ before identifier ‘glGetVertexAttribPointervNV’
vidia corporation\opengl sdk\include\glh\glh_genext.h(307) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found
pbuffer_to_texture_rectangle.cpp
vidia corporation\opengl sdk\include\glh\glh_genext.h(307) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ‘;’ before identifier ‘glGetVertexAttribPointervNV’
vidia corporation\opengl sdk\include\glh\glh_genext.h(307) : error C2501: ‘PFNGLGETVERTEXATTRIBPOINTERVNVPROC’ : missing storage-class or type specifiers
vidia corporation\opengl sdk\include\glh\glh_genext.h(307) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found
Error executing cl.exe.

Originally posted by rts:
[b]When will us Linux types be able to share in the goodness?

[/b]

i’m another one of us Linux types :stuck_out_tongue:
no new Linux drivers, and Powerpoint presentations… ouch.

Originally posted by Bruno:
I’m getting an error in most of the demos., complaining about glh_genext.h!
What could be the problem ?

I e-mailed nVidia about it and I suppose they will fix it. Anyway, if you want to fix it yourself:

1. Go to "
    vidia corporation\OpenGL SDK\include\glh\GL" and change the properties of “glext.h” so that it is not read-only anymore.

2. Now, edit the file.

3. Find the line:

typedef void (APIENTRY * PFNGLGETVERTEXATTRIBPOINTERNVPROC) (GLuint index, GLenum pname, GLvoid* *pointer);

1. Change it to:

typedef void (APIENTRY * PFNGLGETVERTEXATTRIBPOINTERVNVPROC) (GLuint index, GLenum pname, GLvoid* *pointer);

Note the difference is the extra “V” between “PFNGLGETVERTEXATTRIBPOINTER” and “NVPROC”.

1. Save the file.

You are done !

As a side note: some leaked drivers did define “glVertexAttribPointerNV” instead of “glVertexAttribPointervNV” (basically this “v” is creating a lot of problems ! ).

If you look at some of the examples in the SDK, you will notice that Cass is trying to load both (i.e. if loading the correct one fails, he tries to load the wrong one).

Anyway, the correct function name is “glVertexAttribPointervNV” (as specified in the “nVidia OpenGL Extensions” document) and there should be a fix in a next version of the Detonators (the latest beta available for developers still has the bug).

Regards.

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 03-07-2001).]

a million thanks Eric.,
it’s everything working now

Bruno

I’m getting a crash with a nice bsod in w98SE (VC++ 6.0 without SP’s) when compiling the nvparse tool…

Well Thanks is all i can say - I’m really happy that Nvidia are continuing to support OpenGL so fully. I have only just begun (relativelely) to code OpenGL and I have a GFDDR - which is great for me atm - although a GF3 would be nice

But the main point of this was just to say that its nice to see you are still with OpenGL with all this DX8 hype that is pervading the Industry right now, as i have no intention whatsoever to learn DX at the moment…

Thx.

Originally posted by richardve:
I’m getting a crash with a nice bsod in w98SE (VC++ 6.0 without SP’s) when compiling the nvparse tool…

I just tried: I didn’t get a BSOD but there is a problem. The post-build step (projects settings) uses the command “cp”. It is an alias for “copy” that they must use over there.

I don’t know where your crash comes from. I am using Windows 2000 Pro SP1, Visual Studio 6.0 SP5.

Try to change the “cp” thing just in case…

Regards.

Eric

P.S.: in the BSOD, could you see the name of the faulty executable ?

P.S.2: after further investigation, I saw that they also use “mv”,“bison” and “flex” in one of the custom build step… “cp” and “mv” are UNIX commands. I suppose “bison” and “flex” are custom tools. I do not understand what we should do with that !

Originally posted by Eric:

P.S.2: after further investigation, I saw that they also use “mv”,“bison” and “flex” in one of the custom build step… “cp” and “mv” are UNIX commands. I suppose “bison” and “flex” are custom tools. I do not understand what we should do with that !

bison and flex are the GNU Project’s versions of Yacc and Lex, respectively. i guess you COULD call them “custom”, but they are free and you can download them from www.gnu.org. i don’t know if they compile under Win32, but i think they do.

now, since there are UNIX commands in the SDK, doesn’t that mean it should work with Linux? pleeease, give us those updated Linux drivers!

There are several small corrections that need to be made to the SDK. We’ll try to get a new rev out ASAP.

If you want to build nvparse, the best advice is to install the cygwin tools. They include flex/bison/mv/cp, etc. We’ll change the post build step to use copy/rename, but flex and bison will still need to be installed somewhere.

I’m not sure what the Linux timetable is - but it’s soon. The good news is that there’s lots of serious use of these drivers, but the bad news is that getting rock solid stability with SMP and various other configurations has #1 priority right now.

Thanks -
Cass

sounds good to me, cass. thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I’ve changed all UNIX commands and downloaded Flex + Bison but I’m still getting that bsod (pagefault, no executable name).

At the moment I’m downloading the cygwin tools…

Originally posted by cass:

The good news is that there’s lots of serious use of these drivers, but the bad news is that getting rock solid stability with SMP and various other configurations has #1 priority right now.

Making stuff “rock solid” is “bad news?” heh… sounds like good news to me (especially since I have SMP)… and the sooner I can ditch this flaky Matrox piece of crap, the better

To clarify, this work is happening mostly in the release 6.x drivers now, so the bad news is that release 10.x drivers will be delayed.

Didn’t mean to make stability sound like a bad idea.

Thanks -
Cass

Per main topic, I just wanted to say that the
NVidia developers support is unbelievable.
Half a year ago I didn’t know anything about 3D programming. I bought a GeForce2 GTS for gaming, but being a developer for a living and seeing the demos that came with it, it prompt me to visit NVidias site in search of some stuff for developers…

Now, I have a pretty solid knowledge about general 3D programming, OpenGL and DirectX thanks to the exceptional content regularly maintained on NVidia’s developer site.

Keep up the good work guys!
-bart