Is GLUT Dead?

I’ve seen that a Windows version was recently updated (like a couple months ago), but I keep hearing people say that GLUT is no longer being worked on. If this is true, then is there a different CROSS-PLATFORM GLUT-like solution? I’ve used SDL for a game, but it’s not really oriented for more generic Applications.

Thanks.

Is there some feature in GLUT that does not work? How’s about something that you’d like that is not present?

If so, use the source… it’s freely available.

In this instance, I’d pretty much consider “no longer being worked on” == “done”.

Additionally, I think I heard somewhere that Nate Robins has taken over support for GLUT.

[This message has been edited by Baked (edited 01-15-2002).]

I’ve sent a couple emails to nate robbins, but haven’t heard back.

Basically, I just want to have access to the OS specific window handle that GLUT uses internally to control window behavior. I want to make windows that don’t resize and have no border. Rather than actually implement this stuff inside of GLUT, all I want is a glutGet() token that gets the appropriate ID for later use by my own program. Hopefully, this would allow me to get rid of the annoying kill-application button that all GLUT windows have.

sdl lets u create a window without a border + is also cross platform (and not dead)

I love SDL, but I need multiple window support. Does SDL do that? I kinda got the impression it didn’t.

Mark Kilgard has plenty of other things to work on.

My only advice is that if what’s out there doesn’t suit your needs – go out and make something that does, or fix it and try to get your changes adopted. That can either mean integrating them into the next version of an actively-under-development project, or trying to take over the maintainership of a dead project.

GLUT hasn’t just “always” been around. No, GLUT happened because one day Mark Kilgard decided he was going to write it. There’s no reason you can’t be the next Mark Kilgard. (now that’s a scary thought)

• Matt

I suppose, but only the whole reason I wanna use GLUT is cuz I don’t know the OS specific stuff to write my own system. I’m not at all Windows savy, nor Mac, nor Linux… Oh well.

Nate responded to my email and has indicated that GLUT is seemingly orphaned. Oh well.

I’ll probably still use it for now. The other systems I’ve seen are far too complex for what I need. CPW seems like it might be an answer (it’s a GLUT work-alike) but it’s new and not totally cross-platform yet.

I’m working on version 2.0 of GLFW, which is a major update to v1.0.2 ( old web page here )

2.0 will not support multiple windows, but hopefully future versions will. GLFW certainly is alive, and it is (in my opinion) even easier to use than GLUT, and more powerful in certain aspects (supports multithreading, has better fullscreen support, support for timing and OpenGL extensions etc). Unlike SDL, all functionality is supported under both Windows and X11, and act the same. If you want I can send you a beta with documentation - and I’m only happy to recieve comments and suggestions.

[This message has been edited by marcus256 (edited 01-16-2002).]

Well my current solution is to create a static link version of GLUT that I’ll link with directly. This lets me access some of the internal structures and operate on them directly (mainly it gives me access to the hWND for each GLUT window).

So far, I’ve been able to reset the Window parameters to get rid of the Close Window button (so only the “main” window has it). What I need to do now I figure out how to disable resizing for a window…

Marcus, I’ll keep an eye on your project. The multiple windows aspect of GLUT is important for this particular project, so I’m gonna stick with it for now.

I could be wrong, but I remember someone saying once that the window identifier returned from glutCreateWindow or CreateSubWindow is actually the hWND in windows.

Worth looking into.