Asynchronous glReadPixels across multiple pbuffers

I would like to render some static geometry from several hundred views. My strategy was this:

1. upload geometry to video ram
  2. instantiate n pbuffers
  3. for each pbuffer:
    a. set camera
    b. render geometry
    c. glReadPixels

Would this work well if each “iteration” of the “for each” was each done in a separate thread (probably limit the number of threads in-flight to avoid too much context switching)? This is so that the glReadPixels call doesn’t block the rendering calls.

Also, is there anything special I would need to do to share the uploaded geometry? Or is the video memory pointer good across contexts? I suppose I could just share display lists, but I want to guarantee that the data is on the card so that the AGP bus is free for transfering pixels.

Is there a better way to be doing this?

On a tangentially related note: on a modern GPU, geometry setup and transform (the stuff that would be preserved across multiple views, so everything but clipping and the perspective/viewport transforms) is basically of negligible cost? The vertices need to get pushed down the same pipeline regardless?

-Won

C’mon…you don’t think that this is an interesting problem? Mr. Craighead? I know you should be done with finals…

-Won

I’m not done.

• Matt

One last bump. Matt, somehow I interpreted your last post as “I’ll get to it later.”

-Won

Yes, you can reuse video memory pointers. What else?

• Matt

I was fairly certain of that already. Basically, the effect I wanted to achieve is for the GPU to be constantly rendering different views and streaming the images across the AGP bus into user memory for further processing by the CPU. I was wondering whether this was a resonable approach, or if there was a better way to do this. Come to think of it, fences might be able to help in this situation.

-Won