Anyone wanna test my 3d engine?

Hi guys!
I’ve been working on an 3dengine for a while now and I want to check if it runs on other hardware than my own. It should work on Radeon/GeForce1/GeForce2/MX etc. On ealier cards than that it wont run and not on V5 either because of the lack of DOT3 bumpmapping.

Get it here: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Cable/9070/3d.html

Plz tell me whether it runs or not and what hardware you have (CPU & graphic card).
Also, I’d like to know what the fps is. Make sure you press Enter to get to the default position before reading the fps in upper left corner. I guess it’ll run a little faster on GeForce2 cards than on Radeons since HyperZ will be completely inactive (I use no Zbuffering at all).

Are you sure that you test for any extension that is not 1.1 standard?

Well, it’s an early prototype, so I haven’t done any test for the extensions. However, I’m pretty sure that all cards of the GeForce series aswell as the Radeon supports the extensions used. I’ve used GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 and GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc.

Anyway, I’ve gotten words from other guys from another forum that it does work on GF, but sursprisingly also on TNT and V5. But I suspect the results aren’t the intended.
Anyway, feedback are welcome.

Looks very cool…, the light effects look very nice, my system:
Athlon 800, 64 Mb Ram
Geforce2 MX 32mb

I get an average of 60/70 fps

Bruno

failed on startup ( failed a memory read )
win2k <-- possible culprit
tnt2 (nvidia referance drivers)
650mhz p3
256MB ram

49 fps

geforces 256 32mb ram
p800

72 fps Radeon

256 mo Ram
PIII450

Around 75fps (sometimes peaks of 150-200fps)
AMD K6-II 500
128MB
GeForce256 32MB DDR

80 - 90 fps, sometimes jumps to 100+

PIII 733
GeForce 2 GTS 64MB
256MB RAM

It looks strange when I run into any walls. The wall I am touching seems to move out with me. The space between it and the rest of the walls is filled with the edge colors of the adjoining walls. Is that normal?

Other than that, the rooms looks pretty nice

j

On a Win2K machine w/ dual PIII/933s and 512 MB RAM with a GeForce2 GTS I get 59 fps. Looks nice

I obtain 63 to 99 FPS (it depends whether the two boxes are visible or not).

Config:

Dual Pentium III 600Mhz
512Mb RAM
ELSA Erazor X2 (GeForce DDR 32Mb)
Windows NT Server 4.0 Service Pack 6a
Detonator 6.67

That looks really good !!!

Regards.

Eric

Originally posted by mali:
failed on startup ( failed a memory read )
win2k <– possible culprit
tnt2 (nvidia referance drivers)
650mhz p3
256MB ram

Yeah, seams there are some incompatibility with NT/2000 systems. Haven’t found out why yet …

Yumm, I like bumpmapping!

I’ve got 48 FPS in default position…

my system:

Winblows 98 SE
PIII 500 Mhz
128 MB SDRAM
GeForce2 MX (32 MB, Hercules)
AGP 1x

Looks good.

Win98 SE
ATI Radeon - 64meg
256 Meg ram
PIII 500

Got about 60-95 fps. Or > 150fps if I clip out of the world.

Originally posted by j:
[b]80 - 90 fps, sometimes jumps to 100+

PIII 733
GeForce 2 GTS 64MB
256MB RAM

It looks strange when I run into any walls. The wall I am touching seems to move out with me. The space between it and the rest of the walls is filled with the edge colors of the adjoining walls. Is that normal?

Other than that, the rooms looks pretty nice
j[/b]

That doesn’t sound normal. Could you please send me a screenshot at
emiper-8@student.luth.se ?

I had a similar effect with the walls (but I’m using an older card).

Elsa Gloria II (Quadro)
PIII 833
1024MB

[This message has been edited by PeterK (edited 01-11-2001).]

I think those “errors” are just the hall of mirrors effect sice it appears your app does not clear the color buffer inbetween frames.

If it were my graphics engine, I would definately query for the extensions string and disable dot3 bump mapping if the extension is not present. That would at least make things look closer to what is normal. I don’t think bumpmapping should ever be a requisite feature. It should always only be an option.

Does NVIDIA drivers support
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 extention?
and where can i find the specs?

-Lev

Originally posted by DFrey:
I think those “errors” are just the hall of mirrors effect sice it appears your app does not clear the color buffer inbetween frames.

Yes, that’s it.