FBO support on ATI cards? When to expect?

Is there any date when to expect FBO support on ATI cards? Humus?

the catalyst 5.7 do have support for FBO, and it works great

I’ve noticed som problems with the new semiauto mipmap generation (which are fixed in the next version), but other than that they work fine.

However it’s a bit annoying (but mostly an nvidia problem) that you can’t use the same depth buffer format on ati and nvidia, as nvidia doesn’t accept GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, but only GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT_24, while ati on the same colorbuffer only accepts GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT_16 and ofcourse the free GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT.

sure about this ? GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT_24 worked nicely for me, using radeon 9800 pro and of course catalyst 5.7

I’ve also noticed some problems with ‘float’ textures (but I need to check If it doesn’t come from my code).

If I create a texture with glTexImage2D and with parameters :

internal format: GL_LUMINANCE32F_ARB
texture format: GL_RED (EDIT: was GL_LUMINANCE)
texture type: GL_FLOAT

then set all the texture filtering to ‘GL_NEAREST’, and create the ‘FBO’, I have an ‘GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT_EXT’

And it crashes later If I delete that texture.

If I create a PBuffer with the same format, it works.

If I create a texture with different format (GL_RGB8, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE), it works.

Does anybody has noticed something similar ?

A part that, It works fine. Render to depth buffer works with GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT16, but not with GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT apparently.

Oh, so its there already. Thanks for the info. Is there someway where us puny developers can get updates on ATI drivers. When nVidia gave FBO support it was all over the net and their developer website. Can’t seem to get any information about ATI though :frowning:

wizzo: ohh, that’s right… _24 works for ordinary renderbuffers attached to the FBO, but not for textures attached to the FBO.

Originally posted by execom_rt:
And it crashes later If I delete that texture.
This bug has been fixed and the fix should be available in the 5.9 release.

Originally posted by execom_rt:
Does anybody has noticed something similar ?
Yeah, no single/double channel formats are currently supported on ATI cards for rendering with EXT_fbo (although they work fine with DX). I heard they’re planning to add support, but I’m not expecting it too soon.

I just want to mention that single channel FP formats work fine on NV cards (but not the 8bit equivalent).

There’s unfortunately a spec issue with single channel formats:

* An internal format is "color-renderable" if it is RGB, RGBA,
          or one of the formats from table 3.16 whose base internal
          format is RGB or RGBA.  No other formats, including compressed
          internal formats, are color-renderable.

I hope the ARB addresses this and specifies the semantics of rendering to luminance and intensity textures (what is nVidia using? red channel?).

@PsychoLns :
thx for the info, otherwise I would have been all surprised when trying it :wink:

Is there someway where us puny developers can get updates on ATI drivers.
From ATi’s website. They’re public drivers; anyone can get them.

Originally posted by Korval:
[quote]Is there someway where us puny developers can get updates on ATI drivers.
[/QUOTE]But there is no document anywhere that says it supports FBO.

Originally posted by Korval:
Yes we can get the drivers but where do we get information on what API updates/features are there in the drivers?

long story short… we dont.
I’ve never seen this infomation from NV either shrugs

Originally posted by bobvodka:
long story short… we dont.
I’ve never seen this infomation from NV either shrugs

Hmm… with almost all driver release, NVidia release PDF document with bugs & fixes report, as well with new OpenGL extension support. But, still, not all bugs are classified.

yooyo