SIGGRAPH and Longs Peak

So, SIGGRAPH is coming up. And by coming up, I mean has started.

Traditionally, new version of OpenGL come out at SIGGRAPH. So, should we be expecting a Longs Peak specification (or something very close to final) at SIGGRAPH or not?

The OpenGL presentation starts at 5:15pm Wednesday (PST). What should we expect to come out of this presentation?

Sadly, I’d bet most of the guys that can answer this question are most likely at Siggraph and not checking this forum. However, it would certainly rock if one of them happens upon this thread and chime in… I don’t want to have to do another two days of refreshing the OpenGL.org main page over and over again :wink: .

Kevin B

From http://www.khronos.org/news/event_specials/siggraph2007/opengl/

You’ll get an overview of what the OpenGL ARB has been up to the last year. The next revision of OpenGL, code-named “OpenGL Longs Peak” will be presented and discussed in detail. Longs Peak is a major change for OpenGL, and brings many benefits to developers and end users. You’ll also learn more about the OpenGL roadmap for the next year, including what is coming after OpenGL Longs Peak.

So, if not a spec, something very close to it I would expect…

They did say that they were aiming for SIGGRAPH 2007 to release it by, so I really really hope that at least a spec is released, and hopefully an implementation.

Looks like Korval is just about to hit 3000 posts, congrats :slight_smile:

Regards
elFarto

time flies when you’re having fun.

I bet gonna present glFX( integrated with COLLADA and the FXComposer 2) + a small preview of LP very close to the final. I wonder if we could get some kind of drivers or emulators past the summer.

I really really hope that at least a spec is released
After the last newsletter, I wouldn’t expect a full-on spec, as it seems that they still had some details to work out. Plus, getting the wording right even though we all know what you mean is always harder than it seems. But they ought to be able to say, “This is what Longs Peak will be”, and show off some sample code. Code that doesn’t run, obviously, but more detailed than the sample given in the most recent newsletter.

I don’t expect very much. I think the plan to mostly get it done till now, was very optimistic. I admire that they tried it, but i don’t believe it was possible in that time-frame.

Would be great to get a first draft for at least parts of the new API, though.

Jan.

We want spec! We want spec!

:slight_smile:

P.S. Sorry, I could’nt hold it…

OpenGL 3.0 is the next major release.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL#Longs_Peak_Details

Interesting! Do please tell use more about this “OpenGL 3.0”.

OpenGL 3.0 is the next major release.
Um, yes. When you bump the major release of a version number, that’s when you make a major release. The statement is meaningless.

The article you linked to was recently changed by someone to remove the tentative 2.x and 3.0 designations for Longs Peak and Mt. Evans, respectively. It wasn’t “speculation”; it was rumor. There was even a citation there (though not from the most reputable source, hence the rumor part).

Originally posted by Zengar:
[b] We want spec! We want spec!

P.S. Sorry, I could’nt hold it… [/b]
Here is your “spec” !

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article325.asp

mwahahah!

Originally posted by Korval:
[quote]OpenGL 3.0 is the next major release.
Um, yes. When you bump the major release of a version number, that’s when you make a major release. The statement is meaningless.
[/QUOTE]I really hope they go for version 3.0 for Longs Peak and 3.1 for Mount Evans.

Not just because you really should bump the major number when changing the API, but I think it would help with the image of OpenGL. Calling Longs Peak 2.anything really doesn’t convey the changes that have gone into it (We’ll quickly skip over the mistake that was 2.0, it really didn’t deserve that version number).

Regards
elFarto

Raising the version numbers didn’t help. A Major release counts up the first number always, but it doesn’t reveal anything about the new features.

Let’s wait until it’s out…

Gimme a G, gimme a L, gimme a 3!

The version number should reflect changes in the api not in the hardware generation. Therefore I think longs peak should be labelled OpenGL 3.0.
But at the end of the day, I couldn’t give two hoots.