TexSubImage2D woes...

Hi

I’m experiencing unreasonable slowdowns using TexSubImage2D. Here is the scenario :

Configuration :
P4 2.4C, Win2000 SP4
Radeon 8500 64MB DDR (built by ATI), Catalyst 4.2

I have a renderable texture class working, implemented without extensions, ie just using the back buffer & CopyTexSubImage. The problem is when I want to clear this texture (eg reset it to black). For this I would like to use TexSubImage2D, but this where problems begin. I use the following code

void CRenderableTexture:: Clear()
{
	unsigned char * tex = new unsigned char[4*m_TexWidth*m_TexHeight];

for (int i=0; i<m_TexWidth*m_TexHeight; i++)
	{
		tex[4*i]   = 0;
		tex[4*i+1] = 0;
		tex[4*i+2] = 0;
		tex[4*i+3] = 255;
	}

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_TexID);
	glTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 0, 0, m_TexWidth, m_TexHeight, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, tex);

delete [] tex;
}

Ok there are some obvious optimizations to make, but wait a minute. I wrote a dummy Clear2 method to see if there is a difference :

void CRenderableTexture:: Clear2()
{
	unsigned char tex[4];
	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_TexID);
	glTexSubImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, tex);
}

Now to the figures.
For a 1024*1024 RGBA8 renderable texture:
With no Clear at all : 80 FPS
With Clear used once per frame : 5 FPS
With Clear2 used once per frame: 5 FPS (just as slow, but replacing only 1 texel and no array stuff)

Things get even more funny with a 2048*2048 texture. With the same dummy Clear2 method once per frame, I get around 0.5 FPS.

I’m totally clueless about what’s going on…

Some information about the rendering loop :
begin render to texture (ie set viewport to match renderable texture size & clear backbuffer)
*** clear the texture ***
draw some stuff
end render to texture (ie grab the backbuffer & set the viewport back to match the window size)
draw a screen-aligned quad with the renderable texture

In my app, the texture should not be cleared every frame. I just threw it in to measure precisely how much time it took. In fact, I just want to clear it when the window is resized, but it is so slow that it produces a noticeable delay before the app becomes responsive again.

I am at the point where I start suspecting a driver problem. And even with this in mind, I don’t see why a 1024*1024 texture can’t be updated at reasonable rates (not to mention the 1-texel update which is no faster than the plain replacement of the whole texture).

Thanks for any clue, idea, whatever…

No clue why it takes that long.

But why are you worrying abut this in the first place? You don’t have to clear the texture, glCopyTexSubImage2D will set all the pixels for you, no matter what their original content is.

Dirk