Don't use Glut !

Yeah …
Glut seems to be a really cool os-independant alternative but … it sucks like hell !
This main loop which never exits and the lack of callback for window closing makes it unusable for really serious usage.
Boycott is, i lost 2 days trying to use that crap !

1 Like

GLUT is basically used for testing/showing off some effects quickly… You do not have to set up loads of things before compiling… Moreover, you can compile on many different platforms if you want to run comparative tests…

GLUT has never been designed for rewriting 3D Studio Max or Quake 3…

If you had asked, we would have told you…

Sorry for your 2 days lost…

Regards.

Eric

P.S. : writing that in the Advanced forum is really pointless…

Ever hear of a program called “Blender”…? Looks like it uses glut… it is platform independent and it is a really good program… www.blender.nl

Mitchell, just a remark here : they say on their website that they made quite a lot of modifications to the original GLUT library in order to use it in Blender…

Eric

I’m also trying to avoid working with Glut, because whenever I do something wrong with it, my application crashes and VB6 also crashes.

Speaking about glut, does anybody know how to easily retrieve vertices of all the glut-objects ?

tuxracer uses glut, so it CAN be used for serious stuff

People seem to be on ‘a downer’ about GLUT. What does everyone think is so about about it?

Paul.

I’m sorry but I can’t resist. GLUT is great. It serves a purpose and it is the best door into the OpenGL world, IMHO.

Antonio www.fatech.com/tech

oh yeah, tux racer… thanks…
I googled myself there, and its great…

Tux is on Linux, true ?
So maybe it’s the windows version of glut which is buggy…
How can i free my memory stuff when the user clicks the window close button?
Catching the exit function don’t work.

If you dont suggest GLUT,
what do you suggest to use
instead.

Dimi

well, in the glut specs you can read that you should terminate glut programs using ANSI C’s exit() and that you can install exit functions using onexit() (should this be atexit() ?)

anyway, this doesn’t work if the user presses the window close button, probably because glut calls ExitProcess() instead of exit() or something.

thanks to glut, tuxracer is available for linux and windows

glut is really not suitable for big programs (not if you need a fat gui) and is not intended for such stuff anyway. for such stuff you need to **** around with the wglBla functions yourself (win32)

personally i like glut, it is cool for quick hacks or small games etc…

tom

oh and yes, you can get the modified glut
they used for blender from here :
http://www.blender.nl/opensource/glut.php

By the way… the screeshots of tuxracer looks fine… but it crashes my w2k!
GLUT is IMHO (and as Eric said before) for testing issues.

Kilam.

I have been playing tuxracer on my Win2K box all weekend. Great game!

Tux Racer works fine here…

Win2k
PII 400
128 Meg Ram
TNT2

Originally posted by d_christop:
[b]If you dont suggest GLUT,
what do you suggest to use
instead.

Dimi[/b]

I’ve tried SDL (under Linux) and it seems to be nice. Unfortunately, the opengl version is still an “odd number” release :frowning:

Allergy

Even though odd numbered releases are considered ‘beta’ or ‘development’ releases, I can whole-heartedly vouche for the stablility of SDL 1.1.x… I use it for my engine and gui, and Unreal TE runs GREAT. Have yet to have a single problem with it.

BTW: Tux racer uses SDL as well as GLUT.

I’d have to agree with Fenris. SDL is a great library for my cross-platform deveopment so far. http://www.libsdl.org/ It handles input, audio, video, OPENGL, and much more.

yet another recursive acronym :
SDL is DirectX for Linux :wink: