Depth peeling

I’ve been trying to implement depth peeling, but haven’t been able to get it to work. All my peels contain a complete rendering of the scene, which means that the secondary depth test (the shadowmap-based one) doesn’t actually discard any fragments.

As far as I can tell, my code is exactly like the pseudocode in Cass Everitt’s whitepaper. I have my secondary Z-buffer in a texture, with the comparison function set to GL_GREATER, and the comparison result is written to alpha. Alpha testing is disabled for the first peel and (GL_GREATER, 0.5) for all other peels. Depth testing is always enabled and my depthfunc is GL_LESS. I clear the color and Z buffer at the beginning of each pass and copy the Z buffer into the depth texture at the end of each pass.

The only big difference I can see between my code and Cass’ is that I’m not using the depth replace texture shader. I didn’t implement this yet because I was hoping I could avoid it by applying a bit of fudge somehow. Still, I would expect this to cause problems similar to Z fighting, but not to make the depth comparison fail altogether.

Am I really required to use depth replace, or is there something else that I might have overlooked?

Thanks,

– Tom

Hi Tom,

On NV2x you really are required to use depth replace so that values match exactly. You can see my code for this here: http://cvs1.nvidia.com/OpenGL/src/research/layerz/layerz.cpp

I have played around with using fudge factors instead of depth replace, but they have always had artifacts. You could probably come up with a technique that successively decreased polygon offset to get reasonably artifact-free results.

Note that on GeForceFX this process is much simpler. You simply do:

!!FP1.0
TEXC H0, f[WPOS], TEX0, RECT;
KIL EQ.xxxx;
MOV o[COLH], f[COL0];
END

You can replace the “MOV o[COLH], f[COL0];” with whatever complex shader you like. You use 1 texture unit to do the peeling, but you’re otherwise unconstrained. Much simpler! No more of those annoying texture matrix and texgen setups. :slight_smile:

If anybody wants the actual source to GeForceFX version of depth peeling, I’ll be happy to provide it offline (it will be publicly available before too long, I’m sure).

Thanks -
Cass

glAlphaFunc(GL_GREATER, 0); ?

Cass, thanks for the clarification. I’ll go ahead and add the depth replace shader then. It’s true that things will be much easier on GeForceFX, but the reason I brought this up in the first place is because I wanted to keep my hardware requirements down for once

Pocketmoon, changing the reference value wouldn’t make a difference, because alpha contains the binary result of the shadow map comparison function, so it’s always 0 or 1.

– Tom

In the order-independent-transparency demo, I still need to use alpha for blending, so I can’t throw away fragments unless their alpha==0.

(Not that this is necessarily relevant for your particular use of depth peeling.)

Also, if you’re trying to keep hardware requirements down, I would do some research on avoiding depth replace. I bet you can get the artifacts down to “acceptable” levels and still leave yourself some room for interesting shading.

Thanks -
Cass