Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error Reading File BMP File Size ?

Intern Newbie

Error Reading File BMP File Size ?

I'm doing some image processing (with OpenGL) on a 465Kb Windows bitmap file, and it appears that the file size in the header section of the file is incorrect - or I do not know how to interprete it.

Like I said the file is 465Kb in size (according to windows explorer) but when I query the header like thus:

(BITMAPFILEHEADER File_header
    File_header.bfSize

I get 7! Which is a far cry from 465!

Or is it that File_header is the size of the header section? cos that is what it seem like:

typedef struct {
    unsigned short bfType;
    unsigned int bfSize;
    unsigned short bfReserved1;
    unsigned short bfReserved2;
    unsigned int bfOffBits;
    } BITMAPFILEHEADER;

My Observation: The size of BITMAPFILEHEADER is 7 Double words!

Alrighty then. What am I doing wrong ...

Member Regular Contributor

Re: Error Reading File BMP File Size ?

http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp -> BMP

OpenGL != BMP loading API

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

You're reading the header wrong I think. The first member of the structure, bfType, is an unsigned int, not an unsigned short. This means you're only reading two bytes before the size, when it should actually be four.

Intern Newbie

Originally posted by Bob:
    The first member of the structure, bfType, is an unsigned int, not an unsigned short.
    Er...Hi Bob

I just checked. The first member of the BITMAPFILEHEADER structure (i.e. bfType) should be 2 bytes large. On my machine short ints and unsigned shorts fulfill this condition.

However, to ensure that negative numbers(?!) are not written to bfType, I belive unsigned shorts are prefered.

(NOTE: bfType can be 'BM', 'BA', 'CI', 'CP', 'IC' or 'PT')

As you see size is not all that matters ;-)

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Guess I was wrong then.

Anyways, now when you mention it, in my bitmap loader, I check the type and see if it's 'BM' or not. That must mean the type is two bytes.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Although this is largely off-topic, I thought I'd try to help: it is very common in the Windows API structures that one of the member is actually the size of the structure.

It is indeed the case for BITMAPINFOHEADER, which description can be found on the MS web site.

But it is not the case for the BITMAPFILEHEADER which is the one you are referring to !!!! According to MS doc, the bfSize member "specifies the size, in bytes, of the bitmap file".

I suppose the program you use to create your BMPs did not know that...

Regards.

Eric

To get the size of your image, read in the BITMAPINFOHEADER directly after the BITMAPFILEHEADER and look at the biSizeImage member of the BITMAPINFOHEADER struct. This will contain the size of the bitmap data (minus the header stuff).

You can read in these two structures, then move the file pointer to BITMAPFILEHEADER.bfOffBits and read BITMAPINFOHEADER.biSizeImage bytes, which will be the actual image.

In the case where biSizeImage is zero (happens with some paint programs) you have to manually calculate the size of the image, based on its width, height, and colordepth.

Intern Newbie

It is also possible that you're running into an alignment problem. If the program that wrote out the bitmap file did something like:
    fwrite(&bfh , sizeof(BITMAPFILEHEADER), 1, fp)
    then there may be a couple of extra bytes between the bfType member and the bfSize since MS likes to align struct members on 4 byte boundaries. It is also possible that the reverse problem is true. i.e. the BITMAPFILE header was written out a member at a time, but you're trying to read the whole thing in at once. i.e.
    fread(&bfh,sizeof(BITMAPFILEHEADER),1,fp)
    Anyway, I believe the correct way to read and write the BMP structures is to do it a member at a time to avoid alignment problems.

The only place you are likely to run into alignment problems is in the actual image data. For example, say you have a 24bpp image that has a width of 257. Each line in the image would take 771 bytes, which would get padded an additional byte to make it align on a 4byte boundary (772/4 = 193 4byte chunks).

If you were to do something like flip this bitmap line by line, you would have to make sure you account for the padding bytes on the end of each line or else (in this case) the information in the blue channel would get "pushed" into the green channel (since they are right next to each other in memory).

This also has to be taken into account if you manually calculate the image size instead of using BITMAPINFOHEADER.biSizeImage.

All of this alignment stuff only really applies to 1, 4, 8, 16, 24 bit BMP's. 32bpp images are 4bytes per pixel so they are automatically aligned.

Intern Contributor

jup, it's an alignment problem, you read th bytes 4 till 7 instead of 2 till 5
    the bytes are:
    xx xx 07 00 00 00
    the first 4 are the size (the 07 00 result from the about 465k file size) the trailing 00 00 is the reserved (always 00)