FBO render to cubemap broken on catalyst 6.7?

Hiya,

I upgraded my ATI9500 drivers from 6.5 to 6.7 and now I can’t render to cubemap using FBOs…

This is the code i’m using…

FBO creation time:

glGenTextures(1,&rt.texID); 
glGenFramebuffersEXT(1,&rt.fbo);
glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,rt.fbo);
    glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB,rt.texID);   

//Need to set here a filter indicating we are /are NOT going to use mipmaps. If not, a FRAMEBUFFER_UNSUPPORTED will be returned by glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT because we didn't defined a complete mipmap chain??

glTexParameteri ( GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE );
glTexParameteri ( GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE );
glTexParameteri ( GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST );
glTexParameteri ( GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST ); 

GLenum i;  
for ( i=0; i<6; ++i )
{
   glTexImage2D ( GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X+i, 0, GL_RGB16, w, h, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT, 0 );
   glFramebufferTexture2DEXT ( GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X+i, rt.texID, 0);
}

glGenRenderbuffersEXT(1,&rt.fboDepth);
glBindRenderbufferEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT,rt.fboDepth);
glRenderbufferStorageEXT ( GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT24, w, h );
glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT ( GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT,GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, rt.fboDepth );

//Check if all attachments are correct
GLenum status = glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT);
if ( status!=GL_FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE_EXT )
{
   //blah blah
}

FBO render time:

glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,rt.fbo);  

glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT ( GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, rt.fboDepth );

GLenum f;
for ( f=0; f<6; ++f ) 
{
   glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT,GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT,GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X+f,rt.texID,0);
   glClear ( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT );

.... draw each cubemap face....
}

Do you notice something bad there? Well it works on ATI cat6.5 and NVIDIA. Crashes badly on cat.6.7 causing a big exception (attempt to write at 0x00000000 in ATI DLL driver file ). My PC is a Duron 1000, 1,5Gb RAM, ATI9500 64Mb AGP.

Also a petition for the ARB… Could you include in the FBO spec a render-to-cubemap CLEAR example please?

More specifically brokes in address:

0x691efdd4

at

atioglxx.dll C:\WINDOWS\system32\atioglxx.dll N/A N/A No symbols loaded. 87 6.14.10.5949 19/07/2006 4:13 69000000-694F3000

Error message is

First-chance exception at 0x691efdd4 in mySample18.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000000

and occurs when I do the

glFramebufferTexture2DEXT ( GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT, GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X+i, rt.texID, 0 )

call with “i==0”

ofc if I go back to cat6.5 or use an NVIDIA card works… Btw I’m using WinXP SP2 32-bits I forgot to mention it.

Also tryed to use GL_RGB8 instead of that GL_RGB16 but nothing… crash is still there…

Also tested the code with the NVPerfKit with maximum validation… and got no errors with NVIDIA drivers so I assume is an ATI driver problem?

btw, I tryed the Humus examples with Catalyst 6.7 and all crashes strangely… Rollbacking to 6.5 or 6.6 works well… I tryed with two different computers ( one with w2k ati 9800 and other with winXP ati 9500 ) and same result on both…

Anybody having these problems too pls?

I made a quick test a week ago and noticed a crash in one app using FBOs, but haven’t had time to investigate yet.

thx Humus for looking. If you need some test app or whatever to test just tell me, I’m desperated 8(

A test app always helps. If you have one, please send it to epersson ‘at’ ati.com and I’ll take a look at it.

no matter Humus… Catalyst 6.8 solved the problem :smiley: No longer crashes, thx