texture management

hello,
tell me if this must be in the beginner section, i don’t think.

I’m searching to know the amount of memory filled by textures in a graphic card.
If i’m not wrong, Nvidia has released an utility to know ho much amount of ram is free
but it’s for nvidia boards :slight_smile:

Do you know a way to do that?
if I know my textures sizes, the textures that are currently loaded it may be possible to calculate this isn’t it?
But how to know if a texture is on graphic card or in computer ram via the agp bus.

Maybe all of this is work for nothing and instead of playing with texture managment i must let the driver do his job… yes/no ?

Originally posted by MarsuGL:
[b]Maybe all of this is work for nothing and instead of playing with texture managment i must let the driver do his job… yes/no ?

[/b]

…let the driver do his job… YES

Marsu I had a long (close to 80 posts) thread about something like this a little time ago.If you want to check it out,its sbject is something like ‘texture caches’.The bottom line is you can calculate how much texture memory you’re using.And AFAIK in most implementations resident textures are held in VRAM(although the specs don’t clearly state that).But this info is still useless in most cases.E.g. if you calculate that you have currently 30MB of textures bound and you hav a 32MB card that doesn’t nessecarily mean that you can load another 2MB of textures and be sure they’ll be resident(memory fragmentation must be considered as well for example).Generally lot of inside info is needed which the driver doesn’t give you.Take a look at Matt’s posts in my thread and you’ll get the picture.So unless you need a really be texture cache which the driver won’t handle and especially if you don’t have much experience yet(as I didn’t) I recommend you to start small and let the driver handle it(as I do(for now) and edgar recommends).

Dimitris

PS:Please note that I’m not saying this is work for nothing.It can be very usefull but only for specific applications like texturing big terrains or large worlds in general.

[This message has been edited by zen (edited 03-05-2002).]